Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 181 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002: Enda Kenny calls assassinated PM of Congo a niggerr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 2002: Enda Kenny calls assassinated PM of Congo a niggerr

Kenny made world headlines in 2002 by sneakily calling an assassinated PM of Congo a nigger, and instructing journalists not to report it:

Fury at Kenny 'joke' spreads | UK news | The Observer
    The familiy of Patrice Lumumba, the assassinated first Prime Minister of Congo, have demanded an apology from the Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny, who called the revered African liberation hero a '******************************' in a racist joke.
    Disgust at Kenny's recent remarks spread last night to Britain, where he was condemned by race campaigners, including the powerful Commission for Racial Equality watchdog and British political parties
    '******************************' joke reveals ignorance of racism - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
    The new Fine Gael leader knew what he was doing, because he said at the function that he did not want to see his obscure 'joke' reported by journalists who were present. It is remarkable that the morning papers and RTE and other broadcasters went along with this request. When the Sunday Independent broke the story last week, the public become aware of what Enda Kenny had actually said earlier in the week.
    He apologised only when journalists reported it. Is this the model of transparency & decency we want as our next Taoiseach ?

<Edit> I've had indirect contact with someone who was there when the story was told, who has suggested The Observer report wasn't quite correct, thus I've highlighted in the thread title, that it comes from The Observer report , in order that it might aid people make their own judgement </Edit>

cYp
    Last edited by cyberianpan; 31st May 2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: edit
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Kenny made world headlines in 2002 by sneakily calling an assassinated PM of Congo a nigger, and instructing journalists not to report it:

'******************************' joke reveals ignorance of racism - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

He apologised only when journalists reported it. Is this the model of transparency & decency we want as our next Taoiseach ?

cYp

Wow...that will certainly make me think twice about voting FG next time around...I'd certainly rather give FF another chance than to vote for a party led by a man who told an off-colour joke 8 years ago....what was I thinking!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post

cYp

Was it Jody Corcoran, Eoghan Harris or Brendan O Connor who broke it. Wonder has Sindo and Cyp been at any functions when drunken Biffo made stupid remarks ? This should disqualify him from ever being Taoiseach, Bertie had to resign over less- winning his biscuit box money on de nags. Barak Obama or Sarah Palin would never make remarks like that.
    Last edited by Tomas Mor; 29th May 2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spell
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agenda much?

Raking up this is bad. He quoted a joke he had heard with a friend who had recently passed away if I remember correctly? Kenny is no genious but this was dealt with at the time by most commentators as a smear job by the sindo and was no worse than Mary O'Rourke saying her own election workers had 'worked like blacks'.

"Yawn , your great cYp !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by politico24 View Post
    Agenda much?

Raking up this is bad. He quoted a joke he had heard with a friend who had recently passed away if I remember correctly? Kenny is no genious but this was dealt with at the time by most commentators as a smear job by the sindo
    The first story I quote is by the British Observer

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what a nasty nasty thing to say, I am discusted that a political leader would stoop so low.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't remember hearing this one before, it is outrageous and shameful for a party leader to be involved in something like this. I mean the n word, it doesn't get much worse than that does it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is very old news ,and funny it is dragged up on a day when a poll is supposed to find FF up 2 pts, FG down 3 pts,and calls again for Kenny to go. Funny the way some people act. Will it be in tomoro's Sindo again as well ? But well done to Cyp on his research !
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why don't I remember this being discussed at the time?

Page 1 of 181 123451151101 ... LastLast