Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Asylum seekers allege "Fine Gael councillor paid us to vote for him"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Asylum seekers allege "Fine Gael councillor paid us to vote for him"

From Irish Mail on Sunday. Got a copy last night from local shop after reading the thread on Gilmore and Adamirer here,like reading things in their proper context and came upon this far more interesting topic.

Three asylum seekers have signed affidavits alleging voter fraud against James Keogh Fine Gael, Longford. They allege more than 20 were involved in the fraud, these people were brought to Mr Keoghs office, presented with a voting paper, given 20 euros, promised improvement in their living conditions and ferried to the polling booth.

This raises numerous questions....I'll start the ball rolling.....
    How common is this practice within FG ranks...the article infers that more than Mr Keogh were involved...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjoz View Post
    From Irish Mail on Sunday. Got a copy last night from local shop after reading the thread on Gilmore and Adamirer here,like reading things in their proper context and came upon this far more interesting topic.

Three asylum seekers have signed affidavits alleging voter fraud against James Keogh Fine Gael, Longford. They allege more than 20 were involved in the fraud, these people were brought to Mr Keoghs office, presented with a voting paper, given 20 euros, promised improvement in their living conditions and ferried to the polling booth.

How common is this practice within FG ranks...the article infers that more than Mr Keogh were involved...
    How could they be presented with a ballot paper? Story falls down on this unless it was a mock ballot to explain where to fill in.

Is paying someone to vote illegal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjoz View Post

As noted by the other poster, how were they presented with ballot papers?

Can you include a link to the article or failing that a picture of it posted on flickr or similar?
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The ballot papers could have been genuine ... if they were postal votes applied for in the names of people still on the Electoral register who may have died or left the constituency concerned since the most recent update.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldira1 View Post
    How could they be presented with a ballot paper? Story falls down on this unless it was a mock ballot to explain where to fill in.

"Treating" is definitely an offence in the UK - Jack Straw got into some trouble recently...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanad voter View Post
    The ballot papers could have been genuine ... if they were postal votes applied for in the names of people still on the Electoral register who may have died or left the constituency concerned since the most recent update.
    If you had illegal possession of ballot papers why would you need to pay people to fill them out?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    As noted by the other poster, how were they presented with ballot papers?

Can you include a link to the article or failing that a picture of it posted on flickr or similar?
    Sorry but I don't have a scanner (and wouldn't know how to use it anyway)and cant find a link for Irish Mail on Sunday. It's on the same page as Say that again Eamon article that was discussed on another thread here.Surprised nobody has raised the issue here before. Couldn't find a thread on it but was expecting to be told there was one

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    If you had illegal possession of ballot papers why would you need to pay people to fill them out?
    Och, you know Fine Gael - just love to throw money about.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldira1 View Post

It was before the high court last week according to the article.Only ever done a module or two of Law in college and it was never a strong point of mine but I'd imagine it wouldn't be legit to pay someone to vote. Even if it is legal, I couldn't see how an asylum seeker would be entitled to a vote.I'd be very interested if somebody could clarify the legal standings in such matters.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast