Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Just How Corrupt Is Ireland?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Just How Corrupt Is Ireland?

Last edited by Da Da Bert; 2nd August 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Da Bert View Post
    Having read Matt Coopers book recently, I began thinking about Ireland's level of corruption compared to the rest of the world. Are we the most corrupt in Western Europe? Could we even be more corrupt than Italy? In the areas of politics, finance and business, how do we compare?

I've found an article on Wikipedia regarding the "Corruption Perceptions Index" which is interesting as it has the UK as a more corrupt country that ours. I find this problematic as it obviously deals with perception, rather than objective evidence. Can corruption be objectively measured on a world basis, considering how corruption by nature is a crime that isn't necessarily visible as much as say, homicide?
    You mentioned Italy - Well it’s said the mafia never came to Ireland because they knew they wouldn’t have a look in.

TASC website

It's pretty unprecedented for a western european police force to come out against their government as strongly as this :

We are angry at the arrogance of a government corrupted by years of power has lost touch with the reality of life on a modest salary; if they ever knew it at all. A government whose only agenda is to protect the economic traitors. . .

. . We are angry at being lectured by government on the need to be patriotic. A patriot is ‘a person who vigorously supports his country and its way of life.’ This government is misusing what it means to be Irish as they support a new aristocracy created in their image. This new aristocracy chooses whether to retain state pensions while still working as public representatives, using all means to spend vast resources on the few, while taking pay from the majority. This government have created a new class system; one that does not value our service and dedication. . .

. . .The government of which you are a long serving member has mismanaged the wealth of this country for more than a decade by allowing our assets to be plundered and robbed by bankers and speculators and you are making generations of Irish workers pay the price for this treachery. You did this because bankers and speculators have bought your party, and in return you have sacrificed the greater good and prosperity of the Irish Nation for the benefit of the few – the few who have now taken their ill-gotten gains and secured them in tax haven around the world. Truly, a government of national sabotage. .

. .You Minister came out fighting, saying you were going to arrest and jail the CEC, and forgetting that you hadn’t the power. Then you threatened to seize the assets of the GRA; believing your own frenzy you went on to threaten to arrest the printers and the postal workers. As we know none of this happened – except the issuing of the ballot. That GRA speech - Indymedia Ireland
    Last edited by The Underdog; 27th May 2010 at 04:00 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Freedom of Information Laws covering nearly everything are the only standard that justifies even a 'light green' shade on that map (dark green would be serious, serious consequences for political malpractice as well, the darkest would have a highly competent media and an astute, politically intelligent electorate as well), our banking inquiry will be held in secret and there are other areas were there is no probity so maybe a yellow for us.

Then again no doubt you could argue the same about some of the other greens on it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Itg cannot be true that Britain is more corrupt than Ireland. If you are relying on Wiki for that it may be one of these Griffith College inserters who put it there ! How does one measure corruption. Apart from the bankers/builders/politicians trinithy we had here, does anyone think you will get a job unless you have the inside track, the phone call, nepotism, politicians interfering. This applie even in the mediawhere you family groupies, eg. the Harris clan, Fanning clan in Sindo, Gavin Reilly son of Sir AJ.
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Da Bert View Post
    Are we the most corrupt in Western Europe? Could we even be more corrupt than Italy? In the areas of politics, finance and business, how do we compare?
    I find this problematic as it obviously deals with perception, rather than objective evidence.
    In the greater scheme of things Ireland is not very corrupt contrary to the rantings of some on here and in the media. That is not to say we are clean as a whistle but compared to other countries I have lived in like France, Slovakia, Italy and Poland we are far less corrupt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    does anyone think you will get a job unless you have the inside track, the phone call, nepotism, politicians interfering.
    Ridiculous comment and totally untrue. I am sure it does happen but by and large private companies cannot afford nepotism and they need the best people they can get. The Irish public sector is far far more rigorous and impartial than many comparable organisations around the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bertie,Charlie,O'Dea need i go on.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That GRA speech was right on the nail. No wonder Dermot Aherne didn't want to hear it.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apart from planning the level of corruption here is pretty low key. As a citizen I have never had to "bribe" an official to get things done, in business I have never given nor never received any sort of bribe. I have worked in finance for two PLCs and never come across bribery and backhanders. HR recruitment policies are pretty strict. That's not to say we don't have some corruption here, I'm sure we do but it does not impinge on the average person. Are we better than Britain - they have had a few high profile scandals to do with arms deals so maybe that's what puts them up the scale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    Apart from planning the level of corruption here is pretty low key. As a citizen I have never had to "bribe" an official to get things done, in business I have never given nor never received any sort of bribe. I have worked in finance for two PLCs and never come across bribery and backhanders. HR recruitment policies are pretty strict. That's not to say we don't have some corruption here, I'm sure we do but it does not impinge on the average person. Are we better than Britain - they have had a few high profile scandals to do with arms deals so maybe that's what puts them up the scale.
    Ireland has taken the cute-hoor approach to tackling corruption. We have institutionalised it. Look at all the quangos, all the boards, all the jobs, all the offices space needed.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast