Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An emerging Mugabe - in South Africa?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default ANC Youth Leader abuses BBC reporter.

The future of South Africa, folks. A party intolerant of opposition, media and found of rebel rhetoric and racist paranoia.

A firebrand South African youth leader today threw a BBC journalist out of a press conference, accusing him of "white tendency" and calling him a "bastard", "bloody agent" and "small boy".

Julius Malema, president of the youth wing of the African National Congress, exploded in rage when Jonah Fisher, a white Briton, interrupted him at the ANC's headquarters in Johannesburg.

The row began when Malema, who has just returned from Zimbabwe, praised Robert Mugabe's Zanu-PF party and poured scorn on the "Mickey Mouse" opposition. He mocked exiles linked to the Movement for Democratic Change, led by Zimbabwe's prime minister, Morgan Tsvangirai, for using offices in Sandton, a wealthy suburb of Johannesburg.
    And here's where the fun starts:

As Malema went on, Fisher interjected: "You live in Sandton."

Evidently stung, Malema replied: "Let me tell you, this is a building of a revolutionary party and you know nothing about the revolution."
    Gobd**te!

ANC's Julius Malema lashes out at 'misbehaving' BBC journalist | World news | The Guardian

So a wonderful portent for the future of South Africa, the ANC's intolerance for... truth.

<MOD> As the subject of these threads are so similar , I merged per request,below the OP of the second thread, which starts getting replies from c post 38 onwards </MOD>

Quote Originally Posted by Gadjodilo View Post
    He's young, good-looking, articulate, a rising star in the ANC and is already being touted as the next president. He also sings songs at rallies about killing the white Afrikaner farmers and openly expresses admiration for Robert Mugabe. His name is Julius Malema and he's making a lot of people nervous in South Africa.

It's not just the whites who are worried. Senior figures in the ANC have condemned him and imposed sanctions on him for his outbursts. In a South Africa trying to present itself as a country leaving behind the bitter racial divisions of apartheid, Malema's voice is unwelcome - especially in this year of the FIFA World Cup.

And yet, in many ways, he's doing no more than reflecting the anger of blacks who are still far behind whites in terms of wealth. "Everything is racialized here.", he says. "When you see the economy moving, those who are becoming richer are white and those becoming poorer are black."

For now, Julius Malema is staying quiet because he has been forced to by ANC leaders. But if his power base continues to grow, for how much longer will they be able restrain him?

Sources:
    1. BBC News - Controversial Julius Malema defends his actions (BBC interview footage)
    2. Malema: I am fighting for the emancipation of blacks - Times LIVE
    3. Q&A with Julius Malema - TIME
    Last edited by cyberianpan; 26th May 2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: 2 OPS made into one
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

The_Big_Fellow

South Africa is finished if this gobsheen gets any further control. It seems that he is an up and coming star. The ANC are as rotten and corrupt a party as you can ever find. South Africa still on target for being in the bin by 2020. Unless the ANC clean up their org... Bin 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Malema is hardly an isolated example of this sort of attitude, the fact he is head of the ANC's youth wing gives us an example of the mentality that abounds in South Africa.

Zuma tolerates him because he understands that he echoes the views of so many and is afraid to risk alienating those who support his particular brand of 'nationalism', but the reality is that Zuma and the ANC tolerate open racists.

Is it any wonder the World Cup tickets are not selling too well? Who would want to visit this country for a sporting event in this kind of climate?
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

A bully and a disgusting racist.The ANC must be proud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    The future of South Africa, folks. A party intolerant of opposition, media and found of rebel rhetoric and racist paranoia.

And here's where the fun starts:

Gobd**te!

ANC's Julius Malema lashes out at 'misbehaving' BBC journalist | World news | The Guardian

So a wonderful portent for the future of South Africa, the ANC's intolerance for... truth.
    Malema is known for his incendiary outbursts - this is only news because the subject of his attack this time was from the BBC.

The_Big_Fellow

Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    Malema is hardly an isolated example of this sort of attitude, the fact he is head of the ANC's youth wing gives us an example of the mentality that abounds in South Africa.

Zuma tolerates him because he understands that he echoes the views of so many and is afraid to risk alienating those who support his particular brand of 'nationalism', but the reality is that Zuma and the ANC tolerate open racists.

Is it any wonder the World Cup tickets are not selling too well? Who would want to visit this country for a sporting event in this kind of climate?
    I think that it is understandable that they are angry. I can understand why they are killing white farmers - ill gotten gains always end badly they say.

However this guy living in a penthouse and driving his sports car, smacks a bit of the tip pot dictator that is all too common in South Africa./

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Big_Fellow View Post
    I think that it is understandable that they are angry. I can understand why they are killing white farmers - ill gotten gains always end badly they say.

However this guy living in a penthouse and driving his sports car, smacks a bit of the tip pot dictator that is all too common in South Africa./

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Big_Fellow View Post

Seriously?
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Sadly thats about the size of it. The ANC is incompetant, deeply corrupt and overtly racist. Where is Nelson Mandela in all of this? His name is still used to front this denegration and increasing slide into single party kleptocracy.

The_Big_Fellow

I do not approve coming from a farming background myself but if someone has been pising down on you for years and they nicked the land in the first place, then you would be sore. I think that the Govt. should put in place a land buy back scheme, but only allow those who are trained farmers to purchase or be granted the land.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast