Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FG in Cork SW next election ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FG in Cork SW next election ?

Their two current TD's there ( O'keeffe and Sheehan ) are , shall we say , mature. Will either run next time , or is there a shortage of young successors on the horizon ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Their two current TD's there ( O'keeffe and Sheehan ) are , shall we say , mature. Will either run next time , or is there a shortage of young successors on the horizon ?
    Hopefully, then Michael McCarthy an take one of the seats for labour. If they are retiring I predict 1 FG, 1 FF and 1 LP.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Highly unlikely both will retire at the one election, but PJ Sheehan's son was elected in Bantry last year, so he'd have a good chance if the dad retires. Such is the way of politics in CSW.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    PJ Sheehan's son was elected in Bantry last year, so he'd have a good chance if the dad retires. Such is the way of politics in CSW.
    I was working in Bantry a few years ago. It was after the 2002 election but I discovered in conversation that many of the guys at work were unaware that Paddy Sheahan was no longer a TD

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    Hopefully, then Michael McCarthy an take one of the seats for labour. If they are retiring I predict 1 FG, 1 FF and 1 LP.
    Labour poster in predicting a Labour victory shocker.

Hard to imagine Sheehan going on again, he must be 75 or thereabouts. I'd be surprised if FG lost that seat however.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Highly unlikely both will retire at the one election, but PJ Sheehan's son was elected in Bantry last year, so he'd have a good chance if the dad retires. Such is the way of politics in CSW.

Is he as bad as the father , who reminds me of JHR without the cap ?
    O'Keeffe is known as the black babies man around Skib from his days as junior minister for the third world .

Quote Originally Posted by Western Person View Post
    Labour poster in predicting a Labour victory shocker.

Hard to imagine Sheehan going on again, he must be 75 or thereabouts. I'd be surprised if FG lost that seat however.
    well, Labour were 0.4% below their national vote here last time, so depending on whether you believe MRBI or RedC they should either be on 23.6% or, er, 23.6% Greens were 6.7% and SF on 5.1%

FG were on 36% last time out so should be low-to-mid 40s with a uniform swing, but if LP are anywhere near 19-20% nationally they should be competitive here, particularly if 1 or more of the outgoing TDs step down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    well, Labour were 0.4% below their national vote here last time, so depending on whether you believe MRBI or RedC they should either be on 23.6% or, er, 23.6% Greens were 6.7% and SF on 5.1%

FG were on 36% last time out so should be low-to-mid 40s with a uniform swing, but if LP are anywhere near 19-20% nationally they should be competitive here, particularly if 1 or more of the outgoing TDs step down.
    More red wet dreams - the Labouring Party lives in a dream world, and the voters know it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Donim View Post
    More red wet dreams - the Labouring Party lives in a dream world, and the voters know it.
    Right so where are labour going to get the 40+ seats current polls have them at. FYI csw was a lp stronghold for years, so with a swing and a good candidate (which they have) they could well take a seat.Honestly this assumption that just cos a constituency is rural lp cannot get a seat is just silly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    Right so where are labour going to get the 40+ seats current polls have them at. FYI csw was a lp stronghold for years, so with a swing and a good candidate (which they have) they could well take a seat.Honestly this assumption that just cos a constituency is rural lp cannot get a seat is just silly!
    You must have a rural red chip on our shoulder - because I never referred to the rural aspect of CSW.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast