Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How should we celebrate 2016?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How should we celebrate 2016?

Kevin Myers writes an interesting article in this morning's Irish Independent - (attached).

We are less than six years from the 100th anniversary of the rising and important questions need to be asked about how we should mark the occasion.

Should we celebrate it at all?

The rising itself was a failure. Only the misguided and clumsy reaction of the British ensured that 1916 marked the start of a true Independence movement. The leaders of 1916 had no popular support - certainly not enough to declare Independence. The events of 1916 continue to provide violent republicans with an ideological figleaf.

Aren't there more important events we should be celebrating?

The first meeting of Dail Eireann, the creation of the Free State, the 1937 Constitution and the declaration of the Republic are all arguably more important events than 1916.

What format should the 2016 celebrations take?

Successive Irish governments have recognised the connection between 1916 and the Troubles in the six counties. From the late 1960's until very recently the anniversery of 1916 has been celebrated in a pretty low key fashion - if at all. The marketing geniuses have secularised St Patrick's Day and it has now become the defacto Day of National Pride.

Our history is not clean. The birth of our nation was not an easy one. The Americans can celebrate the birth of their nation every July 4th without fear and with just pride. We don't have the same luxury.

So, what do ye think?

Should we celebrate the 100th anniversery of 1916 and how should we mark the occasion?

Is leatsa ..

Kevin Myers: All republican violence has failed in its aims -- no one in 1916 wanted what we have today - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It means nothing to me. I'll probably just sleep in

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Some good came out of it - that scumbag Pearse got what he deserved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post

Should we celebrate the 100th anniversery of 1916 and how should we mark the occasion?

Is leatsa ..
    I not sure about a celebration. However, it was momentous event and should be commemorated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    It means nothing to me. I'll probably just sleep in
    Fair enough. I'd say many people share your opinion. However, Bertie Ahern reinstated Easter Monday as a day worthy of remembrance. I don't think our political leaders will allow 2016 to pass without some form of celebration.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

However, Bertie Ahern reinstated Easter Monday as a day worthy of remembrance.
    And for that reason alone .......

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Some good came out of it - that scumbag Pearse got what he deserved.

DONT FEED THE TROLL

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Kevin Myers writes an interesting article in this morning's Irish Independent - (attached).

We are less than six years from the 100th anniversary of the rising and important questions need to be asked about how we should mark the occasion.

Should we celebrate it at all?

The rising itself was a failure. Only the misguided and clumsy reaction of the British ensured that 1916 marked the start of a true Independence movement. The leaders of 1916 had no popular support - certainly not enough to declare Independence. The events of 1916 continue to provide violent republicans with an ideological figleaf.

Aren't there more important events we should be celebrating?

The first meeting of Dail Eireann, the creation of the Free State, the 1937 Constitution and the declaration of the Republic are all arguably more important events than 1916.

What format should the 2016 celebrations take?

Successive Irish governments have recognised the connection between 1916 and the Troubles in the six counties. From the late 1960's until very recently the anniversery of 1916 has been celebrated in a pretty low key fashion - if at all. The marketing geniuses have secularised St Patrick's Day and it has now become the defacto Day of National Pride.

Our history is not clean. The birth of our nation was not an easy one. The Americans can celebrate the birth of their nation every July 4th without fear and with just pride. We don't have the same luxury.

So, what do ye think?

Is leatsa ..

Kevin Myers: All republican violence has failed in its aims -- no one in 1916 wanted what we have today - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
    I think the expression is " he would say that wouldn't he" anything which gave/gives legitimacy to partition is great in Myers book, thankfully he's a fast fading light in Irish journalism and his move to the indo has hastened that

As for the celebration ... a rewriting of the constitution and restructuring of our inefficient system of government especially at local level and a debate about the type of country we want would be nice but i wont hold me breath............... followed by a nice military parade (from the GPO to City hall in Belfast )

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair enough. I'd say many people share your opinion. However, Bertie Ahern reinstated Easter Monday as a day worthy of remembrance. I don't think our political leaders will allow 2016 to pass without some form of celebration.
    The government of 2016 will try to "cash in" on whatever sentiment arises - hell, if it goes really well they might call an election early as people might be feeling proud.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    DONT FEED THE TROLL
    Green ? I'm offended!

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast