Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would Lab,SF,Green alternative have a chance?

birthday

Default Would Lab,SF,Green alternative have a chance?

Although the numbers may seem unlikely, one wonders if a pre-election pact between Labour,SF and Greens was announced, would it stand a chance?
    Such an arrangement would offer a real break with the past, although SF would have to agree to tone down some of their policies.
    Could it work, given that FG will have alienated so many sane voters following Kenny's out burst over sovereignty this week?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The biggest obstacle in the way of that wouldn't be SF policy (when you compare LB to FG anyway) it would be Gilmore's ego.

Politics.ie Member Squire Allworthy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NO!

Why would Labour tie itself to the other two, and why would anyone want to tie themselves to the current Green Party?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

birthday, I don't mean to discourage you from free and open discussion on the internet, but I'm afraid this suggestion is utter bo**locks.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Allworthy View Post
    NO!

Why would Labour tie itself to the other two, and why would anyone want to tie themselves to the current Green Party?
    Regardless of the Greens Labour would tie themselves to FG over any left leaning party or independant in a jiffy.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    birthday, I don't mean to discourage you from free and open discussion on the internet, but I'm afraid this suggestion is utter bo**locks.
    Thanks for your candid remarks.
    Well, following Kenny's outburst this week, Labour are now my most likely choice right now for next GE.
    It certainly would be nice to see a break with the past (gombeenism)-whether it would fly is another thing

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I honestly believe that if the electorate were to be given an alternative to FF/FG then they would rally to it in greater numbers then the polls at the moment actually suggest.

The last Red C poll put Lab/GRN/SF at 36%. Thats within striking distance, add an alternative that could enthuse the electorate and I believe it would grow, excite non voters/the young the disenchanted with politics and you are on your way to real change.

With transfers between the parties and with a negotiated programme for government between the parties you could have a left leaning government for the first time in Ireland.
    Last edited by JoeHickey; 15th May 2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Mistake in percentages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe Labour should go it alone, you just never know.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHickey View Post
    I honestly believe that if the electorate were to be given an alternative to FF/FG then they would rally to it in greater numbers then the polls at the moment actually suggest.

The last Red C poll put Lab/GRN/SF at 38%. Thats within striking distance, add an alternative that could enthuse the electorate and I believe it would grow, excite non voters/the young the disenchanted with politics and you are on your way to real change.

With transfers between the parties and with a negotiated programme for government between the parties you could have a left leaning government for the first time in Ireland.
    That is what I have been thinking. The programme would have to be in place well before polling day in order for this alternative to gather momentum.Food for thought- I think many people are tired of tweedledee tweedledum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Allworthy View Post
    NO!

Because radical change might be possible if Labour was open to an alternative strategy of joining leftist groups, which is what the party is meant to be about. The Greens, appalling though their behaviour is, are not too far gone to be a part of this.

Leaning left may bring a real future for Labour - The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 14, 2010

Anyways, why would you want to go into a government with Enda Kenny calling he shots when the possibility exists of being the largest party in a totally new arrangment??

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast