Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet resources for Irish....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Internet resources for Irish....

Excuse the lack of Gaeilge, but my Irish is in a thoroughly dilapidated state so I don't want to foist it upon you at the mo. Anyway, yours truly is laid up for the next while so I'm planning to take the opportunity to get to proper grips with the mother tongue. Can anyone suggest any good websites?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't want to sound ignorant but all the covsersation on this foram is as Gaeilge and therefore your thread should probably be under education and science or community and culture. Maidir le do cheist tá daltaí na Gaeilge maith go leor le haghaidh foghlaimeoirí agus tá focal.ie go maith má tá cabhair uait le do stór focal ach ní haon saineolaí (expert) mé ar an ábhar seo. Brón orm!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Casualbets View Post
    Excuse the lack of Gaeilge, but my Irish is in a thoroughly dilapidated state so I don't want to foist it upon you at the mo. Anyway, yours truly is laid up for the next while so I'm planning to take the opportunity to get to proper grips with the mother tongue. Can anyone suggest any good websites?
    If you're of an academic frame of mind, I'd suggest Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail.
    It's a book with soundtracks, a good deal of vocabulary and plenty of grammar.

It'll set you up well for most situations.

But you need to take it very seriously, not for the fainthearted.

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The first series of my Irish language programme on Nearfm is a resource. I am around 80% (open to corrections) fluent in Irish so there would be a few mistakes scattered throughout the series but take a look if you want. There are also links to different programmes put up on individual threads in the same forum. I interviewed Éamon Ó Cuív and Cllr. Julia Carmichael from Fianna Fáil so far.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's an important point you raise.

I'm just back from France - having spoken to my wife mostly as Gaeilge which we tend to do when abroad - and saddened at our lack of pride in a language every bit as melifluous and musical as French. Why Irish people feel ashamed to be heard using bit of Irish they know baffles and infuriates me. It's as if we need special permission to speak it.

Anyways, what I want to say is that the Dept of Education should address the chronic lack of appropriate context for learners (formal and informal) of Irish by immediately engaging some hot shot web designers to create a series of staged, interactive web-based programmes around the themes of the primary curriculum - me féin, bia, teilifis, aimsir, caitheamh aimsire, sa theach srl.

This would allow anyone learning Irish to work away / revise independently and could be used by teachers on interactive whiteboards in schools. It would at once be an accessible, 24/7 resource for use all over Ireland and abroad. Anyone listening in Marlborough St???

(BTW the other things they should do is offer a Gaeltacht placement to all children at least once in their school career subject to school approval (based on interest & behaviour) and abolish mandatory Irish at 2nd level so that people have to CHOOSE Irish and so be more likely to have the courage to use it in the streets)

Go n-éirí leat le do chuid stadéir.

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FearDíomhaoinUasal View Post
    Anyways, what I want to say is that the Dept of Education should address the chronic lack of appropriate context for learners (formal and informal) of Irish by immediately engaging some hot shot web designers to create a series of staged, interactive web-based programmes around the themes of the primary curriculum - me féin, bia, teilifis, aimsir, caitheamh aimsire, sa theach srl.
    Great idea- are you going to contact An Tánaiste Mary Coughlan about it?
    Blog | Youtube | Mixcloud | Podchraoltaí Gaeilge Near FM | Wikimedia Commons |
    #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TG4 archive all their Irish programmes for a number of weeks at tg4.tv (tg4.ie is their normal website), so it's a good place to watch Irish-language programmes that you missed and also not hog the telly from the non-Irish speakers in your household.

There's also this Irish-language proficiency test, which only takes about ten minutes to do and lets you know what level your Irish is at: http://www.transparent.com/learn-iri...ency-test.html
    You'd be surprised at how well you might do. Most Irish people have much better Irish than they think; lack of self-confidence is usually the biggest obstacle. Notice how much better/confident people get at speaking Irish when they drink.
    Last edited by Evil Eco-Fascist; 24th August 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's true, South Paark, as gaeilge, is a learning experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast