Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Galway Advertiser and local politics

Gimpanzee

Default Galway Advertiser and local politics

The Advertiser is gone beyond a joke at this point when it comes to local politics. I know it is a local rag, but is it too much to expect something better than than

"Crowe announces new 1 million pedestrian bridge for Galway"

Galway Advertiser - Local News, Sports, Entertainment, Community Events, Free Weekly Newspaper

This week the front page headline is that Cllr Michael Crowe has announced a 1m footbridge across the canal. Now leaving aside the obvious question about why it should cost a million quid to span a body of water 20m wide for pedestrians and cyclists, what I want to know is why Crowe got a mention in the headline? Its not like he paid for it. He was one of God knows how many people involved.

I can understand how a politician would issue a press release associating themselves with the good news, but how does it make it to the front page headline of a newspaper? Crowe should have been a footnote in the story, nothing more.

Then inside you have a sicking series of soft focus photo's and articles about Peter Keane and Hildegarde Naughton. Almost nothing of which seem related to their work that the public currently pays them to do as councillors but solely related to their chances of climbing the greasy pole to get another higher paid public job. What chances are there or seen an article critically analysing what these two have done since they got elected?

'Firebrand' councillor and Advertiser favourite Padraig Conneely gets another press release in and I'm only surprised I haven't seen something from Fidelma Healy Eames announcing/decrying something or other.

The soft handling a council that has presided over disasters in the cities infrastructure and budgets over the past few years is sickening. The editorials in the Advertiser can sometimes carry a useful message, but with the likes of this weeks headline it is lost in the schmaltz.

And before anyone says 'well don't buy it'....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sections they actually compose themselves (excluding the advertisements) can be roughly divided into:
    -politican press releases
    -pictures of lovely girls in Halo on a night out (this appears to be mandatory in everylocal paper
    -a court report update on Castleparks finest
    -sport.

However, I had a look at it a few weeks back, for the first time in yonks, and they issued mid term reports on local politicians. Some of it was hard-hititng enopugh, with a few 2/5 marks issued.

I wasn't expecting that.

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    However, I had a look at it a few weeks back, for the first time in yonks, and they issued mid term reports on local politicians. Some of it was hard-hititng enopugh, with a few 2/5 marks issued.

I wasn't expecting that.
    I must have missed that - they must be trying to get out of the dog house with roses and choccies this week because it is vomit inducing.

I don't mind the political press releases when they get the small article treatment, somewhere in between the homeless cats and the dead people, but its hardly too much to expect that the front page might have some bit of thought put into it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd agree with much of the previous posts however I was surprised that they departed from the media consensus on our wonderful governments lightspeed headshop ban with a fairly sarky editorial about relative harm. It's not often the advertiser is that progressive. what I have a real issue with is that they allow public representatives to pontificate and mudsling in their letters page I mean these muppets have already too much access to our media without filling a page that is for the views of the ordinary joe with their propaganda. that and their willingness to print every utterance of the likes of Niall Farrell and his ilk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    I must have missed that - they must be trying to get out of the dog house with roses and choccies this week because it is vomit inducing.
    Generally they just print press releases, and to be fair they print everyones crap, including "Kenny walks down shop street" or something similar not too long ago. They don't have the staff to do very considered pieces generally, save when they do editorial stuff occasionally.

The Tribune is a far better paper one has to say.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    Generally they just print press releases, and to be fair they print everyones crap, including "Kenny walks down shop street" or something similar not too long ago. They don't have the staff to do very considered pieces generally, save when they do editorial stuff occasionally.

The Tribune is a far better paper one has to say.
    Yes Tribune is far better, and in fairness you'd expect it to be better quality based on resources and business model.

Really it was the headline that drove me to this. What would have been wrong with
    "New footbridge to be built over canal"? Its one thing trotting out the body of press releases (this article appears to be at least reworked by Kernan Andrews), but there is no excuse for using a press release headline for the front page story, if that is what happened.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was actually an excellent pull-out a few weeks back because it celebrated its 40th birthday.

40 years of Galway news, or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    There was actually an excellent pull-out a few weeks back because it celebrated its 40th birthday.

40 years of Galway news, or something like that.
    I like Tom Kenny's "history of Galway" bits.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    I like Tom Kenny's "history of Galway" bits.
    I like the 'pretty girls in Halo' pictures.

But then I'm a mysogonist, sexist pig, who objectifies women as sexual trinkets and operates at a base level at all times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default He who pays the piper...

I remember sometime ago seeing in the Advertiser's property pages (back in the boomy days) an explicit commitment that prominent property editorial coverage would be given to those estate agents who advertised the most. Given FF's wraparound 4 pager on the week of the last GE, I suspect that this policy also applies to political coverage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast