Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-voters - how can the opposition get them out?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Non-voters - how can the opposition get them out?

In every election well in excess of 30% of people do not vote. It is not always the same people, but a large proportion simply do not vote. And never will.

They have a legal right not to vote notwithstanding their social duty to do so. Many many people will be so disillusioned with politics that former voters may be turned off. Fianna Fail is a sad reflection of its formeer self from Lemass's time. I do wonder whether if FG had won the last election - would we be better off. I doubt it. But a change of personnel has to be good for us. Doesn't it?

What can be done to motivate the non-voter to vote?
    1. Education - teach the importance of it.
    2. Guilt - think of those who do not have the right to do so.
    Both are bull.

The only think which can motivate someone who has never voted to do so, if there that there is something in it for them or that their anger is such they feel the desire to spend that half hour or so to vote. The best way is perhap asking people not to vote FOR parties but to vote against one in particular by supporting all of the others.

In your view - how do we rock the vote?.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    In your view - how do we rock the vote?.
    I don't vote because I have no one to vote for and I'm not unique. If you want to increase the range of vote you have to increase the range of vote options.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In some cases, to get the vote, people have to believe that their vote makes a difference. Many people don't believe that. They feel, what's the point.

Politicans AND potential canditates need to be active in the local areas. It isn't good enough to have their 'clinics'......they need to have 'town-hall' meetings, on a regular basis.......they need to GO TO THE PEOPLE, rather than taking it for granted that 50-60% will go out to vote.

The need to inspire and motivate with their ideas.....they need to have imagination, passion for what they are doing........and above all they need to KEEP THEIR WORD.
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post

In every election well in excess of 30% of people do not vote.
    That's not actually the case. The first point to remember is that even from the day the Electoral Register closes, a couple of weeks before polling, things change. Lots of people die, for a start. And not just in those two weeks - often removing someone from the electoral register is the last thing family members will be thinking about, after losing a loved one. So you'll find that invariably anyone who died within about 6 months (often longer than that) will still be on the register, and will thus lower the turnout. Then you've a whole load of other things - people go on holidays. People are sick - from serious injuries and illnesses keeping them in hospital, down to just being bedridden for the day and unable to go out. People find themselves working in another part of the country (or abroad) for a week, a couple of weeks, a month, or whatever. Students don't register where they're in college, and can't get home.

The reality is that if absolutely everyone who could vote, did, you'd still only have turnout of about 80%. Any higher, and parties would be suspecting there was wholesale fraud going on. So in that respect, to have, as we do, about 7 of every 8 people who are able to vote, actually voting, is pretty good going.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    I don't vote because I have no one to vote for and I'm not unique. If you want to increase the range of vote you have to increase the range of vote options.
    If you're that dissatisfied with all the options, then run for election yourself.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    There's no such thing as the perfect candidate or party.
    If you donít vote, youíre letting some other gobdaw decide for you.
    Exercise your democratic right.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A 'none of the above' option would be useful .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If State funding of political parties was based on actual votes recieved rather than per centages, they may have more of an incentive to get the vote out.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stewiegriffin View Post
    A 'none of the above' option would be useful .
    +1
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    There's no such thing as the perfect candidate or party.
    If you don’t vote, you’re letting some other gobdaw decide for you.
    Exercise your democratic right.
    I love that expression - exercise you democratic right? What, once every four to five years or when the fat sacks of sh1t in the Dail have a barney?

Ah yes, isnt democracy wonderful? Vote for someone based on lies and you have no comeback.

I choose not to vote anymore, I have embraced the Fianna Fail philosophy of looking out for No.1 and no one. You can all burn as far as I am concerned, this state is not my state and given half the chance, I'd sell the whole country down the river for far less than 30 pieces of silver. I'd probably do it for free.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast