Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Zombies of Dublin: will the Junkies be a priority for the new Mayor?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Zombies of Dublin: will the Junkies be a priority for the new Mayor?

Zombies of Dublin: will the Junkies be a priority for the new Mayor?

Adam and Paul, can be multiplied by the hundreds if not the thousands, around the streets of Dublin. Easily available cheap alcohol on prominent display in convenience stores, together with social welfare and returns from petty theft, and an indifferent police force, appear to have combined to ensure Dublin streets are filled with winos or their less aggressive cousin, the stoner.

This is a phenomenon which I have only observed in Irish and British cities – though they must exist elsewhere. The reason for them? Perhaps, our Victorian social class system where ordinary people just walk by, perhaps our national over indulgence of alcohol, or our revolving door prison system? Who knows? Fewer care.

Neither of the approaches from the Left and Right, carrot and stick, state/city led or charity based, appear to have led to any success. Nor has their been any semblance of political leadership on the issue. One gets the distinct impression, that government and drugs, the focus is on middle class school children, getting together respectable stats and the odd high profile drug catch.

But what about the junkies, winoes, drugees and Zombies who loiter around the city? Does anyone care, or is it a case of pay them enough social welfare to keep to themselves? Will the Mayor of Dublin do anything or will they just not be able to?

Adam and Paul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drugs.ie - Drug and Alcohol Information Ireland

There are 178,000 people in Ireland in Consistent Poverty (as opposed to the 610,000 people in relative poverty ie on less than 12k)
    Combat Poverty - How many peopel are poor in Ireland?

So I've heard ... The plan is to open clinics in cork and just push the junkies outta 'the pale' and down to the rebel county. I guess outta sight is outta mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Athach-Tuatha View Post
    So I've heard ... The plan is to open clinics in cork and just push the junkies outta 'the pale' and down to the rebel county. I guess outta sight is outta mind!
    Why don't they move them to Leitrim? Nobody lives there anyway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leave it out bud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is your proposal to tackle the problem you have outlined in the OP?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

This is a symptom of chronic Government failure
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    This is a symptom of chronic Government failure
    Primarily it's a symptom of lots of people on heroin.

Its a symptom of a lot of people without respect for themselves. look at the 'hoods' in america. once a community development scheme is put in place people start improving their area and their minds and gain back self respect. the users and pushers stop or are pushed out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good post Congaltee, the human garbage wandering and loitering around Dublin are practically encourgaged to be there. Walking Dublin by night alone I almost always keep a fist clenched. I don´t get that feeling in too many other cities. There´s a constant menace in the air, whether from the homeless/junkies/winos or indeed the drunkards who throng the place. A bit of law and order would be welcome for once. We´ve all seen it, and the majority of the population who are well behaved, peaceful and friendly shouldn´t have to suffer it.
    For me, the zombies you mention are the greatest contributory factor in Dublin appearing to be a kip.

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post

This is a phenomenon which I have only observed in Irish and British cities – though they must exist elsewhere. The reason for them? Perhaps, our Victorian social class system where ordinary people just walk by, perhaps our national over indulgence of alcohol, or our revolving door prison system? Who knows? Fewer care.

Neither of the approaches from the Left and Right, carrot and stick, state/city led or charity based, appear to have led to any success. Nor has their been any semblance of political leadership on the issue. One gets the distinct impression, that government and drugs, the focus is on middle class school children, getting together respectable stats and the odd high profile drug catch.
    Firstly, the problem is not unique to Ireland and Britain as i have seen it in most European cities I have visited as I have a tendency to walk around exploring anywhere I visit - though some do make an active effort to keep them out of tourist areas.

Secondly, who knows why so many flush their lives down the toilet. It could be a case that when you criminalise people, you condemn them to a life of poverty and that poverty leads to self destructive tendencies or depression which could lead to addiction.

You are correct in your analysis of the political situation regarding recreational drugs and I would venture the opinion that what we are doing isn't working so its high time we had a major rethink of what we are doing.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast