Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael D Higgins for President.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Michael D Higgins for President.

Have heard people around here and in the media in general say that Michael D Higgins may run for President. I think he'd make a fine President myself. He has a great track record on social issues and is a fine public speaker. I remember him addressing an anti-Iraq war rally in Galway where he had the assembled gathering captivated with his oratorical prowess. With Labour surging in the polls, by the time the election comes around in October 2011, Higgins may well be in a prime position to win.

He would be a credit to the country in a Presidential role. As well as this it would be a right kick in the stones for a few smart ass conservative types and right wing nutjobs that you see around here from time to time. I am not sure if Higgins wants the job, but if he does I reckon he'd be in with a good shout. It would be a good boost for Labour to win a presidential election with the General Election due around June 2012.

President Michael D Higgins sounds good to me.
    Last edited by goatstoe; 9th May 2010 at 02:45 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. Most of the Labour party think he should run. Its up to the man himself though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know Michael D for a long time. Nice guy, brilliant intellect. Would if that was the choice prefer him to Finlay. However think MDH would be a loose cannon in the Aras.
    Last edited by ergo2; 8th May 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goatstoe View Post
    Have heard people around here and in the media in general say that Michael D Higgins may run for President. I think he'd make a fine President myself. He has a great track record on social issues and is a fine public speaker.
    He would have to promise not to recite any of his poetry. I have heard from a usually reliable source, that he is one of the Vogons' most implacable agents provocateurs.
    Last edited by I'mVeryGladYouAskedMeThat; 8th May 2010 at 07:20 PM.
    You should listen to my bias, not the other side’s bias.

he is the best candidate i have heard mentioned so far.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

He would be a great candidate for President. If he won would he give up all of his state pensions while in office.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes his principled foreign policy stances would render him a very attractive candidate in my view.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergo2 View Post
    I know Michael D for a long time. Nice guy, brilliant intnellect. Would if that was the choice prefer him to Finlay. However think MDH would be a loose cannon in the Aras.
    Finlay would be a good candidate, but in my opinion Higgins would have a better chance of winning. As regards being a loose cannon, I'm sure he'd adapt himself to the role but would bring a wealth of foreign affairs knowledge to the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

er No Thanks Folks.

He would just pee off a lot of people and I can't see him gaining many votes outside of the Labour Party and perhaps the Greens.

I wouldn't vote for him anyway.

ABTW- isn't he a bit long in the tooth for a post like this at 69 years of age?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do we need a pesident at all, needs to be radically reformed before we start electing anyone

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast