Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what's the lesson learned here folks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default So what's the lesson learned here folks?

So a state official steals E100,000 from the BOI and gets a slap on the wrist for her troubles.

State official avoids jail after stealing €100,000 from bank - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

What sort of message does this give out?! Waste the State's time and money on prosecuting her and for what? She should have been put away for years...
    Where, after all, is the Muslim outrage at these events? As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming? Salman Rushdie (2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jtbooker View Post
    So a state official steals E100,000 from the BOI and gets a slap on the wrist for her troubles.

State official avoids jail after stealing €100,000 from bank - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

What sort of message does this give out?! Waste the State's time and money on prosecuting her and for what? She should have been put away for years...
    The Revenue gave me two days to pay 76000 euro on Thursday or they would start proceedings to liquidate my company. Reading this makes me sick. I wonder why I shouldn't keep double books or cheat as it seems cheats prosper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep - screw, fiddle and cook is the way forward my friend. 100G because the silly twit, like ever other twirp in this country who thought they were a property developer, bought an apartment in Turkey and got burned. We the tax payer take another hit in the costs associated with bringing this farce to trial.
    Had she been a private sector business, those evil capitalist pigs, she'd have been jailed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

UNEFFINBELIEVEABLE,,,,,,,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think we should also note that in the article that it says "Fiona Finnegan (39), a married woman with a family from Sylaun, Tuam, Co Galway,". I wonder if it was a married man with a family would this be noted or would the sentence be as lenient?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, someone in the two banks scewed up in not waiting for the cheque to clear. Any time I lodge a cheque, it takes a few days before it's credited to the account it's lodged in, even back then in those days of loose (no) regulatory control from FinReg.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Had she been a private sector business, those evil capitalist pigs, she'd have been jailed.
    You do realise that her place of employment had absolutely nothing to do with what she did right? She did not steal from the state, she made up a fake company and stole from the bank. The headline was there to grab the attention of all the rabid anti public sector looneys. DEAR GOD! READ the article!
    She could have been a check out girl or a bloody artifical inseminator!
    So I dont think her job saved her jail time, it was the "wont somebody think of the children" defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    If you heard the report you would see she was operating in the private sector with this scam. It appears she had a private company which is what the 100K was drawn on, but the private company didn't actually have the cash to back up the cheque.

She repaid the money to BOI, and I presume would have incurred costs in defending the case. I can't say I'm delighted with the notion of a suspended sentence in this instance but nor does a custodial sentence make a lot of sense since it was crime without violence, low risk of re-offending (so not a danger to society) and it would involve a significant cost to the state to put her up.

What we need is half-way house between custodial sentences and suspended ones. for debts and other crimes of the like.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    If you heard the report you would see she was operating in the private sector with this scam. It appears she had a private company which is what the 100K was drawn on, but the private company didn't actually have the cash to back up the cheque.

She repaid the money to BOI, and I presume would have incurred costs in defending the case. I can't say I'm delighted with the notion of a suspended sentence in this instance but nor does a custodial sentence make a lot of sense since it was crime without violence, low risk of re-offending (so not a danger to society) and it would involve a significant cost to the state to put her up.

What we need is half-way house between custodial sentences and suspended ones. for debts and other crimes of the like.
    Yes you are right I have heard the report. We should try something like house arrest where the person has a young family or forcing convicts to work for the state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A question that remains is will somebody who has been convicted of such a massive fraud still be allowed to operate as a State official? Exactly how low is the bar for public service?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast