Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Oireachtas Committee looking for board member for TG4

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Oireachtas Committee looking for board member for TG4

The Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communications, Energy and Natural Resources is today looking for a suitable person to fill a vacancy on the board of TG4.

From today, (6th) the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communications, Energy and Natural Resources is seeking expressions of interest from suitably qualified members of the public to become a board member of TG4.

The Committee is looking for an individual with the relevant skills who would be prepared to contribute their experiences to safeguard the independence of TG4 while ensuring it carries out its activities effectively, and in the case of current affairs accurately and with impartiality.

Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend a public meeting of the Joint Oireachtas Committee. This process continues this all party Committee’s role in making recommendations for appointments to State boards. Last year, the Committee recommended four people for membership of the Broadcasting Authority and four for the Board of RTE.

Members of the Board must have experience of, or shown capacity in, one or more of twelve areas listed in the Broadcasting Act. For this position the Committee are seeking someone with expertise in areas such as digital media technologies, trade union affairs, legal or regulatory affairs, matters pertaining to disability or science, technology or environmental matters. It is a requirement for membership of the Board that candidates are able to communicate proficiently in the Irish Language.

Committee Chairman, MJ Nolan TD said;
    “We would encourage anyone who feels they have something to offer TG4 to apply for membership. This is an opportunity to represent the interests of viewers and listeners and to ensure that the activities of TG4 are performed efficiently and effectively.

This is further occasion in which an Oireachtas Committee has been mandated to recommend appointments of individuals to the board of a State agency. In the past, sometimes an impression has existed that membership of such agencies was a closed shop and that no opportunity existed for interested individuals to become board members of State agencies.”

The Broadcasting Act 2009 provides for the appointment to the TG4 Board. There is at present one vacancy on the board. This vacancy arises because the Broadcasting Act 2009 provides for a twelve member board. Nine members were appointed to the current board in 2007. The Director General of the TG4 serves as an ex officio member of the board. A staff member has also been appointed to the Board.

Interested applicants can visit www.publicjobs.ie for more information.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll do it. I got a B in my leaving, I occasionally watch TG4, and, most importantly, I own a car, so I'll have no problem getting to the studios which, if I remember correctly, are sensibly located in the middle of a Connemara bog, alongside a halting site.

Will taking the job affect my dole? Because if it does maybe they could pay me the pension up front?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a new and welcome departure in the area of appointments and should be applauded--I do not think my cupla focal would be enough to qualify me for membership but Iwish the Committee every success in finding a suitable candidate.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The committee has done this a couple of times already - earlier this year they made nominations to the Board of the Broadcasting Authority and RTE.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How exactly does the committee and sub committee system work? Who can make submissions and how do they go about making one?