Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser eye ops could ruin sight .

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Laser eye ops could ruin sight .

Laser eye ops could ruin sight - Health - NZ Herald News

"Concern has been raised about the long-term effects of laser eye surgery after a new study has shown that tens of thousands of New Zealanders
    are likely to suffer defective vision from the surgery in their later years."

"Anybody who's had their cornea planed would be eaten by a lion at the water hole...
    If there was serious break-down of law and order, they would probably get shot before the others because they couldn't see so well."

After Joe Duffys recent expose one would be very reluctant to have this surgery.

Is the proliferation of laser eye surgery clinics on a par with the head shop problems I wonder.?

Are there any regulations applicable to this murky and blurred area of latest fad whizz techno spin.?

Of all the senses eyesight is regarded by many as the most important and the long term consequences of this,
    in the vast majority of cases, optional procedure , are not known.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FM, for once we're on the same wavelength.

That is the reason I've steered clear of laser eye surgery - we just don't know the long-term effects 20, 30 or 40 years down the road and no one can tell us with confidence.

I know plenty of people who have had their eyes lasered in recent years and swear by it. My brother had it done and had fierce problems in one eye for a couple of months afterwards although it's settled down now and things seem grand.

But when I asked them what effect it would have 10 years down the road they just didn't know - and don't seemed to have been told with any degree of certainty.

Tempted as I am to go for it, I'm just a little too cautious to take a chance with my sight - so I think I'll stick to the old specs and contacts.

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had it in November 2005. 100% success. No complications at all.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone tempted to have this surgery should wait for better advances, like the Light-adjustable lenses (LAL)

No need for specs: eye implants offer ‘super vision’ - Times Online

The lenses, already in use in Germany and the United States, cost £600 each, ten times as much as standard IOLs. They are being offered for the first time in Britain to private patients having operations for cataract or presbyopia — age-related deterioration of sight — at the London Eye Hospital.

*Bobby Qureshi, a leading eye surgeon who has so far used the technique in ten operations, said the total cost of an operation and adjustment would be up to £3,000 per eye, “but patients think it is worth it”.

“We have the potential here to change patients’ vision to how it was when they were young,” he added. “The technology allows us to make adjustments after the lens is in place and healing has occurred.

“The change is so accurate that we can even make the lens bifocal or varifocal, so as well as giving them good vision at distance we can give them good vision for reading. They won’t need their glasses at all.”

Mr Qureshi said that patients could achieve “better than perfect vision” because the adjustments could account for natural imperfections in the eye, known as high-order aberrations, that can subtly affect vision.

“This is probably the greatest advance in lens technology since the first ever intraocular lens was implanted 60 years ago,” Mr Qureshi said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tiger Woods had it done. I don't recommend copying Tiger, except on the putting green.
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supermanpolitician View Post
    I had it in November 2005. 100% success. No complications at all.

That's fine and dandy but what about the effects in 10 or 20 years - have you no concerns about possible impact on your vision?

Can you be sure that you won't suffer sight loss further down the line due to the surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by soubresauts View Post
    Tiger Woods had it done. I don't recommend copying Tiger, except on the putting green.
    Padraig Harrington and BOD did avail of this as an aid to sport perfection.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be extremely retiscent to have laser eye surgery. Longitudinal evidence as to its safety simply is not available.

I'm quite happy with speccy my four eyes thanks very much. A nuisance sometimes when I misplace them, but other than that no problem.
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The main issue is that either LASIK / LASEK & IOL's involve surgery, and surgery is always a risk as its quantifiable in terms of how the average person responds to a procedure, but not each individual on a person by person basis (so to speak). I've had LASIK (which was great for me), but know many people who have had disappointing experiences, some are still wearing glasses. LASIK / LASEK have been around for more than 20 years now, and while there I dont know of any comprehensive independent long term impact studies, I certainly don't know of any results that suggest negative impact. Due to litigation possibility, if there was a problem I would have thought that the media would have latched on to any wiff of a story there....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast