Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will succeed Brown as Labour leader ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Who will succeed Brown as Labour leader ?

One thing is sure by now, that bar a a miracle, Brown is a goner. Though Labour may well coalesce with the Lib Dems.

Ed Balls David Millband are the leading contenders for Labour leader, and as the London Times points out, they have sharply different philosophies. Ball is a more authoritarian (and nasty character) , Millband is more reflective and cherishes individual rights. So who to win ?

Labour is learning that it has no right to exist | Rachel Sylvester - Times Online
    Perhaps inevitably, the choice is increasingly characterised in terms of successors to Mr Brown. David Miliband is seen as the figurehead for the liberal wing and Mr Balls is emerging as the most likely leader of the more statist group, assuming that he is not the victim of the Tories’ castration strategy.

Allegiances are being quietly made.

I am told that Alan Johnson has made clear to the Foreign Secretary’s supporters that he would back Mr Miliband rather than standing himself. Lord Mandelson is also in the same camp.

Interestingly, Jon Cruddas, the champion of the thoughtful Left, sees himself as being on the liberal rather than the statist side.
    Of course Balls may loose his seat... and that would be that then I guess ?

Edit:

Clegg makes clear he favours the Miliband wing of Labour:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...lib-dem-labour
    Asked if the same gulf existed with Labour, he says: "I have always accepted the first part of Roy Jenkins's analysis that says that historically Labour and Liberal Democrats are two wings of a progressive tradition in British politics. That seems to me to be right." But Clegg maintains that his party cannot be an annex of Labour and that there is a fundamental difference between the two parties over the individual and the state. "There are some people in the Labour party that now get progressive politics has to be about empowerment, reducing dependency on the state, increasing social mobility through individual empowerment releasing power from the centre politically – but it is not where the Labour party lies at heart.

"Listen to Gordon Brown's final message last night – it was: 'You're not allowed to take a risk on anyone else.' It's a very dismal, cramped and depressing message. That's why the polls are putting us ahead of Labour and that will crystallise in the next few days into a two-horse race."
    cYp
    Last edited by cyberianpan; 30th April 2010 at 11:25 PM.
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

birthday

I would go for Milliband.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too would go for miliband,
    not that i like him , but he seems the best placed
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ed Balls is toast reckon he will be unseated. Suspect Brown might deliver something looking like a victory, or 'best case scenario'. Still convinced Cleggomania is very overstated and will not be anywhere near those polls, he didn't seal the "voting Lib Dem is not a wasted vote" deal. So the charismatic Miliband even if he does "have something of the night about him".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Millband is more reflective and cherishes individual rights.
    So long as said rights are approved by his boss, Hilary Clinton. The boy David doesn't do anything without the go-ahead from Washington.

Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very fair impartial comment in the OP, "Ball is a more authoritarian (and nasty character) , Millband is more reflective and cherishes individual rights."

Anyway, I would like to see Brown stay on as Labour leader if Labour had to go into opposition, but of course if brown has to go to get a coalition with the LibDems then so be it. The next leader should be the one least likely to lead to disputes and schisms in the future, which I think might be Milliband. Not that I dislike Balls (or his "nasty authoritarian" views) but he might be a bit weak support-wise to lead Labour through this important period.
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By general consensus, Minibrain has been quite ineffective in his role as FM, and made more than his fair share of gaffes. I don't think he's a shoo-in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    By general consensus, Minibrain has been quite ineffective in his role as FM, and made more than his fair share of gaffes. I don't think he's a shoo-in.
    That didn't stop Brown.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh he wont be acceptable to Lib Dem rank & file

Alan Johnston is my pick then, GB would probably go for that no questions.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast