Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Nod To China... ?

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default A Nod To China... ?

Some may remember the consternation in a coffee mug caused by Obama bowing to the Chinese leaders.

I didn't really think much of it until I saw this this morning from French President Nicolas Sarkozy's current trip to China.

Et voilà, une nouvelle tempête dans une tasse de thé !

Some French commentators have by-passed the direct critique of Sarkozy (handily enough) and have put it down to a recognition of China's power.

Any thoughts?
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If there was one country i'd like to be in with in the future its China. In fifty years (or maybe even 20) they will be the new world leaders, except without all the American dream stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by willoughby View Post
    If there was one country i'd like to be in with in the future its China. In fifty years (or maybe even 20) they will be the new world leaders, except without all the American dream stuff.
    The Chinese nightmare more like, but then again the American dream seems to have ended up being just that, a dream.
    I see your point about investing in future 'friendships' alright. I wonder if in 50 years Chinese people will be picking tatty sh*t and saying, "Ah no, not mo cwap Ma' ee' I'lan' !"
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are the Chinese media wondering why their Leaders shake hands?, a bow is customary in the Orient. Good manners, although Everybody is aware how beholden we are to them, best not upset them.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by willoughby View Post
    20 years, aren't they already nearly there.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Are the Chinese media wondering why their Leaders shake hands?,
    I doubt it ;
    Handshaking, is a kind of silent language, which is especially more important in China, although it is a popularly used form of greeting in many countries worldwide. It is the common propriety on most social occasions as an expression of courtesy and greeting when people meet or say goodbye to each other. Besides, handshaking is also a way to express congratulations, thanks and encouragement to others. Generally, you can make a simple address or beckon and then shake hands with each other, simultaneously with exchange of greetings.
    Handshaking in China, Proprieties Regarding Handclasp
    I notice though we don't see any pictures of reciprical bows. Lack of photo ops or lack of interest in publishing?
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do the Chinese bow to one another? I didn't notice that when I was there a few months ago. I think that may have gone out with the cultural revolution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    20 years, aren't they already nearly there.
    Yes but I would think that they would probably already have been on top a while before it is internationally acknowledged. America will be very clingy to their world superpower status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to my granny and her nostradamus / colmcille fetish - the chinese (yellow race) will rule the world.

So there.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"According to my granny and her nostradamus / colmcille fetish - the chinese (yellow race) will rule the world."

There may be something in what your granny says.

Their one baby policy has led to a huge oversupply of young males in China (some would call this a ready made army) - and a huge supply of adopted chinese baby girls around the world.

Their food stores are in every town and city in the western world.

They make pretty much every product we buy these days - check your country or origin on everything from Furniture, toys, sports gear, Technology, the list goes on.

What used to be US multinaitonal companys manufacturing in Ireland ect - nearly all those products are now made in china or/and identical replicas of same.

Ever ask yourself why / how there is such a large community of Chinese in Ireland and Europe?

Someone here might have answers to some of the above just putting it out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast