Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bertie Ahern and the €98901 pension - News: he is giving it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bertie Ahern and the €98901 pension - News: he is giving it up

Bertie Ahern is claiming €98901 in pension payments yearly on top of his TD salary of approx €100,000 plus benefits.

He has also secured recognition as an artist from the Revenue Commissioners so he does not have to pay tax on his I did it my way book sales.

What arguments or methods can we marshal to explain to him and his party colleagues the error of his ways?

Full list of sitting TDs claiming Ministerial pensions, and not, here -

On the take

Bertie Ahern is in the Ace of Spades position in that deck.
    Last edited by He3; 27th April 2010 at 06:07 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What I can't understand is why a minister for finance can;t introduce a punitive tax on such income.

Say a special tax rate of 115% on these "double income" pensions? I'd say that would have a few of them running to forgo the benefit.
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be fair a number of his colleagues from what I understand have already agreed to not draw their pension.

Its time for Cowen to be decisive on the matter although I suspect he will try to sort things out behind the scenes.
    As far as I know a number of former FG and Labour ministers still draw pensions but I am happy to stand corrected. This seems to be a disease of the political class rather than just Fianna Fαil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Bertie Ahern and the €98901 pension

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut
    What I can't understand is why a minister for finance can;t introduce a punitive tax on such income.

Say a special tax rate of 115% on these "double income" pensions? I'd say that would have a few of them running to forgo the benefit.
    Because this isn't Venezuela and the tax system should not be abused to punish fellow citizens just because you're envious of their financial circumstances.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member Raketemensch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bertie and his kind do not know the difference between their own property and that belonging to the country.

You would not be able to explain it to him because he thinks that everything belongs to him, didn't he single handedly create the celtic tiger?

OK, a tiger that is well on the way to destroying far more weath than it created but you could not explain that to him either because he is permanently in 2004-land and has not read a newspaper since.

He thinks everything is grand. It is in a way... for him and that is all that matters. To him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    Because this isn't Venezuela and the tax system should not be abused to punish fellow citizens just because you're envious of their financial circumstances.
    But of course you can introduce levies to punish fellow citizens just because you're envious of their financial circumstances, like normal public servants trying to earn a living, just not the senior ones or the judges.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our politicians want Michael Fingleton to pay back the 1 million bonus he paid himself for staying on past his retirement date, in order to complete the ruination of his Bank.

Yet none have called on our former Taoiseach to hand back the pension he recieves for his years of service as head of the most economically inept and morally corrupt Govt in the history of the State.

And considering the standards set by previous Govts in our short history, that takes some doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raketemensch View Post
    he is permanently in 2004-land and has not read a newspaper since.

He thinks everything is grand. It is in a way... for him and that is all that matters. To him.
    He couldn't string a sentence together that made any sense, let alone make a speech but people pay him speaking fees...
    You should listen to my bias, not the other side’s bias.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post

There is a simpler and more equitable strategy. Put in an income cap - a means test if you like. The greater the claimant's other income, the lower the pension payout. And why should these particular pensions be payable before age 65?

If the claim that you can't change these things retrospectively stands up - and I'd like to hear independent legal opinion on that - so be it; change things as of the date of adoption of a fair system that isn't a rip off of the taxpayer to feather the insiders' nests.

Too much to hope that the opposition parties will make a commitment to do this?
    Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through.
    - J. Swift

Politics.ie Member Raketemensch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I'mVeryGladYouAskedMeThat View Post
    He couldn't string a sentence together that made any sense, let alone make a speech but people pay him speaking fees...
    It is true that he has absolutely nothing of interest to say therefore the only conclusion must be that he is bringing people along to these talks somehow and someone else must be paying for them. As they say, follow the money. Is there any way that Irish/EU taxpayers money could be subsiding these talks somehow?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast