Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingers wants to give the money back... sort of

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fingers wants to give the money back... sort of

Sunday Independent is today reporting that Michael Fingleton cannot wait to give that controversial 1 million euro bonus, which he received over a year ago, to charity.

That is very nice of him... because we all know that donations to charity receive tax relief at the marginal rate. Assuming Mr Fingleton continues to have income sufficient that he is paying the top rate of income tax he will get tax relief sufficient that a donation of 1,000,000 will receive tax relief of 410,000 (41%) thus costing him 590,000. I wonder when he'll give us the rest of it back...

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You beat me to it about the tax implications, though I'm not sure it would be exactly that much as there are some limits on how much you can claim.

I love the Sindo's headline that he wants to do it "without delay". One year later is without delay?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supermanpolitician View Post
    You beat me to it about the tax implications, though I'm not sure it would be exactly that much as there are some limits on how much you can claim.

I love the Sindo's headline that he wants to do it "without delay". One year later is without delay?
    The limit is 50% of your gross income on an annual basis if your income exceeds 250,000. You can claim the relief over multiple years if you exceed that threshold in one single year.

This is set to change under the Finance Bill 2010. Coincidence that there is now a determination to get it paid?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had predicted earlier in the week that Sindo would come to his rescue and sure they did, with charity scoop. Next thing is that Sindo will report that Fingers and Seanie are going to some third world country to help construct small houses for the natives. Fingers was good at giving quick loans to media hacks,and also of course fast tracked a loan for Celia Larkin when the bought house with FF slush fund became an issue. Next thing we will hear that Eoghan Harris will praise Fingers in the Senat in the same way he and Sindo gave blind loyalty to Bertie for senate seat .
    Last edited by Tomas Mor; 25th April 2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spell
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can he do that, is 'Anglo Irish' a registered charity?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which Irish charities will get Fingers largesse?

Maybe the delay in payment is while some appropriate charities are being set up - those awkward Revenue people could be querying the aims of these new charities -

• The Society for the protection of developers wife's who are having to get their clothes in designer swop shops
    • Irish Association for stressed stockbrokers
    • Society for the advancement of 'broke' bankers

Perhaps other posters could suggest charities?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The monies should go back to IN, that is where they came from and the taxpayer should not be sponsoring grand gestures by Fingers.

Maybe in time they will want more funds back from Fingers but the precedent should not be set of allowing the likes of Fingers free sympathy publicity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish Herald Saturday April 24 2010.
    It's time to sue Fingers to get our money back
    P.ie has become a melting pot for fascists and outlandish trolls. Since I got punished for reporting the latter I'm no more posting on this forum. Who owns politics.ie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish Independent Thursday April 22 2010
    Cowen saw no evil in sticky-fingered society

"THAT prince among men, Michael Fingleton, has made a monkey out of the taxpayer. And now Brian Cowen is presenting himself as a monkey too. But the Taoiseach is using it as a defence: he wants us to believe he was a 'hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil' monkey of a finance minister. ..." The whole article
    P.ie has become a melting pot for fascists and outlandish trolls. Since I got punished for reporting the latter I'm no more posting on this forum. Who owns politics.ie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast