Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballyseedy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ballyseedy

Here is a link to the RTÉ Documentary on Ballyseedy from 1997.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8WshBEoug"]YouTube- Ballyseedy massacre 1923 (1/10)[/nomedia]

It's split into ten parts. One of the most interesting historical documentaries RTÉ have done in recent years and ideally RTÉ should repeat it soon. Unfortunately it's not available on the RTÉ Iplayer so fair play to the person who uploaded it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An excellent documentary, and, as you say, one of the most interesting RTE has done in years...only trouble is, it's not so recent anymore. RTE really did some seriously good docs in the '90s... I never could figure out what happened since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Historical documentaries are one area that's sadly neglected by RTÉ, although TG4 have made some very interesting ones in recent years. I really wish RTÉ would make better use of their archives through the RTÉ website. They have a small archive section on it but they could put up so much more. Unfortunately, as well, RTÉ destroyed a lot of their archive in the past.

If I had one minor quibble with the documentary it's that there is no mention of the Kenmare case, which was a bizarre end to the whole unfortunate saga, but that's a very small complaint in what is otherwise one of the best programmes RTÉ have made in the last 15 years.

Politics.ie Member wretchedwilbur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got to agree that this was one of the finest historical documentaries produced by RTE.

What sticks out most in my memory was how the locals in Kerry viewed the Free State forces as the "Dublin" police. And how they saw Dub oppression as a seamless extension of Brit oppression. For me , this was an unexpected perspective.

Also the link between the Ballyseedy survivor and Joanna Hayes and the Kerry Babies scandal - when again the Dublin "heavy gang" police terrorised the local peasantry. One event has macabre redolences of the other.

Thanks for the link ,CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hadn't heard that Wilbur. What was the link between Joanna Hayes and Stephen Fuller?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cb1979 View Post
    I hadn't heard that Wilbur. What was the link between Joanna Hayes and Stephen Fuller?
    Think she was a direct relative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Didimus.

Politics.ie Member wretchedwilbur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cb1979 View Post
    Sorry cb - just saw it now.

He was Joanne's grandfather , I think. You might recall that one of the Hayes family interrogated by police was an elderly aunt of Joanne's- Bridie Fuller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Examiner - Opinion - 23, February, 2000

An article from T. Ryle Dwyer in the Cork Examiner about Ballyseedy.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast