Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Charges!

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Water Charges!

RTÉ News: Water meters to be introduced from 2011

Lenihan said something would be done about local authority funding to marion Finucane on Saturday-is this it?

Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Note that Gormley doesnt know how much people will have to pay and is hoping the first water bill people get is at the earliest 2012. In other words, the next government can deal with the mess.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In principle I would be in favour of watercharges. However I think any consumer would be fully within their rights to refuse to pay them until such time as a least 95% of the water that leaves a treatment plant gets to the tap. The current situation is a joke and the line that water charges are needed to fund the upgrading of the system could only be dreamed up by a civil servant. Imagine a private company informing its consumers that it had to charge them more because it failed to invest in its long term needs when it was coining it....oh yeah I forgot our vitally important banking system.

By the way I'm on a private water supply.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian-right View Post
    Note that Gormley doesnt know how much people will have to pay and is hoping the first water bill people get is at the earliest 2012. In other words, the next government can deal with the mess.
    That seems to be the plan for every problem these days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deiseguy View Post
    In principle I would be in favour of watercharges.
    What principle is that? I agree with your comments re wastage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The estate i live in has 3 leaking water mains stopcocks since the big freeze.
    We have been on to the developer, the Kildare COCO, the county councillors, the department of the environment.

Nothing has been done.

Recent flow tests (paid for by the resident commitee) conservatively estimate that 1,000,000 litres have been leaked.
    The RC cannot engage a private contractor to fix it.

They can ****************************** right off if they think i am going to pay a penny for water. The waste of tax payers money is one thing but the destruction it must be causing to the local environment and the structural integrity of the estate.

The coco say they can't do anything on an estate until they have taken over from a developer - i assume this includes fitting meters..
    The vast majority of estates in kildare (and i presume the country) have not been taken over
    if they go for a flat tax i propose we all leave our taps running day and night

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im sure it will form part of the €3billion to be cut in the budget

Will the charges be brought in before or after all the upgrades and leakages have been repaired?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Didimus View Post
    What principle is that?
    The principle that water is a utility no different to gas or electricity. There is a cost involved in supplying it and it should be borne by the consumer.

Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poolfan81 View Post
    Im sure it will form part of the €3billion to be cut in the budget
    Your 100% right. They will announce the plans for water charges and a property tax as part of the budget. Of course they wont realise this revenue until after 2012...just in time for the next government to sort out The social solidarity tax will also come into play. The rest is 1 billion cut in capital projects and 1 billion in PS/welfare cuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian-right View Post
    Your 100% right. They will announce the plans for water charges and a property tax as part of the budget. Of course they wont realise this revenue until after 2012...just in time for the next government to sort out The social solidarity tax will also come into play. The rest is 1 billion cut in capital projects and 1 billion in PS/welfare cuts.
    So the Green Party are too busy to look after the environment?

NEVER AGAIN people of ireland

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast