Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilmore for Taoiseach: Any reality to it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gilmore for Taoiseach: Any reality to it?

This is something which would have been dismissed out of hand a few months ago. However, as 1929 changed politics forever, could the post Lehmans world provide an opportunity to Labour.

If they run enough candidates, they could theoreticaly emerge as a the largest party, therefore RTE will have to include them in the Leaders Debate - as seen from Nick Clegg's participation in the UK debate, it can make a difference.

By picking up well-known has-beens,the chances of Labour gaining seats in Mayo, Poscommon and Longford - of all places, has increased. There gains would be deemed impossible months ago, but now on a good day with the wind behind them, are maybes. It all depends on Fianna Fail and how bad their collapse will be. But all but the true ff belivers ie morons, think that they will do well enough to lead a government again in the next 7 years.

So in the post-Nama Republic - is the future Labour?

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Taoiseach is a real position, so yes, there is some reality to it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    This is something which would have been dismissed out of hand a few months ago. However, as 1929 changed politics forever, could the post Lehmans world provide an opportunity to Labour.

If they run enough candidates, they could theoreticaly emerge as a the largest party, therefore RTE will have to include them in the Leaders Debate - as seen from Nick Clegg's participation in the UK debate, it can make a difference.

By picking up well-known has-beens,the chances of Labour gaining seats in Mayo, Poscommon and Longford - of all places, has increased. There gains would be deemed impossible months ago, but now on a good day with the wind behind them, are maybes. It all depends on Fianna Fail and how bad their collapse will be. But all but the true ff belivers ie morons, think that they will do well enough to lead a government again in the next 7 years.

You are starting to sound like Brendan Corish.

Will the eventual outcome be any better ?

How long until HBAP posts that there's no point talking about it, as it will never happen....?

This is something which would have been dismissed out of hand a few months ago.

Labour in power in the current climate would be a disaster - seen as a soft touch by the unions.

You should listen to my bias, not the other side’s bias.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's obviously very very unlikely.

But on a very very good day Labour could win second seats in Cork North Central, Cork East, all of its 8 dublin constituencies, Galway West, Wexford, Wicklow, Longford-Westmeath

It could win seats in Kerry North, Kerry South, Tipp North, Tipp South, Limerick, Cork South West, Carlow-Kilkenny, Meath East, Louth, Sligo-North Leitrim, Roscommon-South Leitrim, Galway East, Mayo, Donegal South East and (if the rumours on another thread are to be believed) Donegal North West.

That's 29 potential targets. Before the FG brigade start - I'm well aware that a big chunk of these are massive outside bets. The chances of winning even 15 of them are reasonably small I would think. But there are about 50 seats that Labour can seriously target and, as I say, on an uber-good day, win.

John Bruton was Taoiseach on 45 seats.

As I say, small chances, but its possible, and it's right for Labour to aim for it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not yet. Maybe never. Dunno. But I've been giggling ever since I heard it. With the occassional guffaw.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Just watched most of Gilmores address.
    Went down well with the audience and well delivered.
    But Labour will find the road is gonna get rough once the real election campaign begins.
    And the worst part is that they are writing the election campaign for the FF trash merchants.
    Put simply, FF will identify Labour as the weakest link and use them as a rod to beat the FG dunces.
    Vote Fine Gael to empower Jack O Connor.

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    It's obviously very very unlikely.

But on a very very good day Labour could win second seats in Cork North Central, Cork East, all of its 8 dublin constituencies, Galway West, Wexford, Wicklow, Longford-Westmeath

It could win seats in Kerry North, Kerry South, Tipp North, Tipp South, Limerick, Cork South West, Carlow-Kilkenny, Meath East, Louth, Sligo-North Leitrim, Roscommon-South Leitrim, Galway East, Mayo, Donegal South East and (if the rumours on another thread are to be believed) Donegal North West.

That's 29 potential targets. Before the FG brigade start - I'm well aware that a big chunk of these are massive outside bets. The chances of winning even 15 of them are reasonably small I would think. But there are about 50 seats that Labour can seriously target and, as I say, on an uber-good day, win.

John Bruton was Taoiseach on 45 seats.

As I say, small chances, but its possible, and it's right for Labour to aim for it.
    Oh come on. Labour are third in the polls, varying between 17-24% - how could a party come from that far back to neck and neck over such a short period? That'd be like the Liberal Democrats .... oh, hang on

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    Not yet. Maybe never. Dunno. But I've been giggling ever since I heard it. With the occassional guffaw.
    Reminds me of something Bob Monkhouse once said.

"They laughed when I told them I wanted to become a comedian. They're not laughing now."

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast