An election is a rich tapestry of reasons for vote for or against, Cowen's party. It could also be 2-4 years away.
The Fianna Fail parliamentary party are only concerned with their own re-election. His failure to communicate will be their reason to do him down.
Neither FG nor Fine Gael have put down any motion in the dail of no confidence in him yet, to force the Greens, indos, and wobbly ff backbencher to support his economic treason.
The case against him
1. The banking scandal. Under regulation, over-broad bank guarantee, including anglo, the nama myths.
2. Giving developers months of notice of the intention to pursue them.
3. Lunacy of increases in current spending not related to sustainable current receipts.
4. Allowing a property bubble occur on his watch.
5. Increasing social welfare rates so we are way out of line with nearest neighbours.
6. Not having enough qualified economists in dept of finance.
7.The loss of competitiveness over that period.
8. The increases in the public sector pay bill duping that period.
9. Failure to do anything on pension timebomb then spending its reserves .
10. Signing off on the Irish glass bottle site without a proper valuation.
In my view, for democratic accountability to exist, Brian Cowen should resign now. He may not be corrupt or utterly incompetent, but the buck stops with him. He should go for the right reason..