Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Letter in today's Independent

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    "Thank you........that was...me farting......by Chopin!"
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Letter in today's Independent

    There is a letter in today's Irish Independent headed, 'FG will rise again'. The letter is signed as 'Sean Hales, Bank Place, Bandon, Co. Cork'. However, as any underage drinker in west Cork should know when the Gardaí ask for their name, the Sean Hales who resides at Bank Place is in fact a statue erected to the memory of a Civil War hero

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Pity you let the cat out of the bag coz it was the first positive piece on the Ind about FG for some time. Now you reveal it's a prank.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie BJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The dead have risen and are voting fine gael
    Percussus Resurgo

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member aodh_rua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cill Dara
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJ
    The dead have risen and are voting fine gael
    Makes a change - I thought they were firmly in the pocket of the Shinners!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    "Thank you........that was...me farting......by Chopin!"
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It's in today's Examiner too. You'd think they'd have some cop on, what with being based in Cork and all

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyc
    It's in today's Examiner too. You'd think they'd have some cop on, what with being based in Cork and all
    That's true, the Examiner are usually strict with letters. Perhaps the person dealing with the letter just didn't know their history.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member KingKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Here and there.
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It is my understanding that John Mandeville, of New Market Square, Mitchelstown, is to write a reply this weekend!
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    18th & falling
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DOD
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyc
    It's in today's Examiner too. You'd think they'd have some cop on, what with being based in Cork and all
    That's true, the Examiner are usually strict with letters.
    Are they? I had always thought that they just publishd the rejected Irish Times ones.

    I had thought all the newspapers rang the letter writers up to confirm that they wrote the letter before publishing them.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll
    Quote Originally Posted by DOD
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyc
    It's in today's Examiner too. You'd think they'd have some cop on, what with being based in Cork and all
    That's true, the Examiner are usually strict with letters.
    Are they? I had always thought that they just publishd the rejected Irish Times ones.

    I had thought all the newspapers rang the letter writers up to confirm that they wrote the letter before publishing them.
    No they don't. Your letter, if it merits it, is just published withou being notified. Well thats what the Irish Times do anyway, I know first-hand. I suppose rags like the Indo just make up their letters as illustrated above. They probably get the names from tombstones in old and undercared for cemteries, how else could they fill an entire page with letters!!
    Greatest forest in the history of trees.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    "Thank you........that was...me farting......by Chopin!"
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The letter wasn't made up, the real author is a member on here. He did it just for the shits and giggles of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •