Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Morgan Kelly - a legend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Morgan Kelly - a legend

The doom merchant whose warnings don't seem so far-fetched anymore - The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 13, 2010

Become a disciple quick. Listen to the experts not the teachers, care workers, country solicitors, bike shop owner, barristers in DAIL EIREANN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Saint Morgan

even if he didn't know what he talking about (which he evidently does), he became my hero last year when he lambasted Cowen and Lenihan as 'buffoons' in front of room full of VIPs

I think I have a man crush on him to be honest
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    The doom merchant whose warnings don't seem so far-fetched anymore - The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 13, 2010

Become a disciple quick. Listen to the experts not the teachers, care workers, country solicitors, bike shop owner, barristers in DAIL EIREANN.

I listen to the weathermen that have been outside!

I quite like this quote

CASSANDRA OR Dr Doom? Hero or Messiah?
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Morgan Kelly is a great person. A pity his warnings were not heeded in 2006. He predicted no soft landing only a real crash. But Bertie and Biffo would not listen
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    Saint Morgan

even if he didn't know what he talking about (which he evidently does), he became my hero last year when he lambasted Cowen and Lenihan as 'buffoons' in front of room full of VIPs

I think I have a man crush on him to be honest
    I admire him for his absolute honesty and his firm belief in what his says and for his superb economic knowledge.

But we have to be careful as well. He must know that economics is a lot about confidence as well.

Becasue he is such a respected commentator his words will be listened to and I beleive he should become more responsible with his comments and search for the green shoots (albeit they are few).

I think we need those commentators who predicted the disaster to start looking for the positives. We need to get rid of the national fear and it is people like Morgan Kelly, Brian Lucey etc who can do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irritating as hell to the sycophants and talented with it.

“The effortless miscalculations, the assured non-sequiturs, the lofty indifference to facts: all reveal Brian Lenihan as a master of what Princeton philosopher Harry Frankfurt defined succinctly in his 1986 paper, On Bullshít .”

He reminds me of Alan Quinlan.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slumdog1971 View Post
    I admire him for his absolute honesty and his firm belief in what his says and for his superb economic knowledge.

But we have to be careful as well. He must know that economics is a lot about confidence as well.

Becasue he is such a respected commentator his words will be listened to and I beleive he should become more responsible with his comments and search for the green shoots (albeit they are few).

I think we need those commentators who predicted the disaster to start looking for the positives. We need to get rid of the national fear and it is people like Morgan Kelly, Brian Lucey etc who can do it.
    yeah, let's set up a thought police to crack down on free opinions

Morgan Kelly is about a million % more 'responsible' than any of the gobshytes who have been 'commentating' in the Irish media for the last decade. I for one wish him to continue in that vein. Tell us exactly how bad things are and why - then let people make their own minds up.

Now stop dissing my main squeeze
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Am I wrong in thinking McWilliams was screaming long before Kelly ?
    The first I heard of Kelly was in 2006 - too late in my opinion, as the bubble was already at its zenith. The damage had already been done.

McWilliams, on the otherhand, was issuing warnings at the time of its formation, and had the government taken on board these warnings back then, we may have avoided this current mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He does face a challenge though, that to be actually listened to and HEARD by those that have their paws on the steering elements of the economy he needs to get "involved" more, however distasteful that may seem to him.

"Rather that Kelly used it as an opportunity to lecture rather than workshop. He didn’t circulate a paper in advance, unlike the other contributors. He’s not interested in anybody’s views.”
    We are "they"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    yeah, let's set up a thought police to crack down on free opinions

Morgan Kelly is about a million % more 'responsible' than any of the gobshytes who have been 'commentating' in the Irish media for the last decade. I for one wish him to continue in that vein. Tell us exactly how bad things are and why - then let people make their own minds up.

Now stop dissing my main squeeze
    No doubt he is responsible and articulate and absolutely correct in everything he has said. But we need to lose the fear. Everywhere you look people are frightened of losing their pay, their hours, their homes and I think we need confidence to get people and the economy to start working again (Along with a load of other things). I think respected commentators are the people to re-engineer that confidence.

My main squeeze is the legandary songtress Dido with her melodic tones of love and her grasp on the vagaries of humun existence. A wonderful talent, the female McGowen and not a mention of the economic collapse.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast