Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FF's conversion to revisionism

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FF's conversion to revisionism

The ennobling of Sir P. Bartholomew Ahern approacheth. While the teaching of revisionism in Irish unis strikes some as problematic – how can you presume the moral force to levy taxes from people in order to pay lecturers to question your historical right to levy them? - here, in the US, Irish government policy reached fantastical heights of absurdity.

In 2005, the Irish consul-general in the western US decided to ignore the existence of a program in Irish studies in San Francisco and celtic studies at UC Berkeley, as well as the pleas of the Irish community here, and gave money to British studies to put on lectures in Irish studies. The sole historical lecturer was an arch-revisionist; check out http://ies.berkeley.edu/isiss/index.html After the “Workshop with Professor Jane Ohlmeyer” Revisionism: Debates on Irish History I guess we can expect “Pro-choice; debates in reproductive rights” and “No zyclon; debates on the holocaust myth.”

We got these lectures stopped only after sending a delegation to Aengus O Snodaigh in the Dail; to his credit, Aengus asked a written question. In the meantime, the Irish state has not attended any of the main regular non-political cultural events here, including a whole Irish day put on by International House at UC Berkeley.

Does anyone have similar tales from the assimilation of the Irish to the British state?

<Mod>Fixed Link</Mod>

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: FF's conversion to revisionism

Quote Originally Posted by erigena
    We got these lectures stopped
    The link is broken. Any other source?
    The theory of De-evolution is proven every day on the internet

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ive noticed

Ive noticed this pattern too. Was one of the reasons I resignes from

Fianna Fail.

A lot of good articles in Irish Political Review

Can be got at atholbooks.org
    John in Cork ya boy ya

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A sad and sorry tale - are you sure that this is true?
    Romanticist 75%, Fundamentalist 69%, Idealist 63%, Cultural Creative 63%, Postmodernist 56%, Modernist 44%, Existentialist 44%, Materialist 19%

Pro Deo, Rege et Patria, Hibernia Unanimis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can the original poster please explain what he is trying to say in coherent and grammatically accurate English?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beardyboy
    A sad and sorry tale - are you sure that this is true?

Go deimhin. (Sorry, I'm still reeling from the brilliance of that articulate and detailed attack below on my anglo-saxon). I just checked the website and currently http://www.wiisonline.org/resources.php?type=lectures

has one of the Ohlmeyer lectures; the one where she lectures on Irish history without mentioning people like Breandan o Buachalla. Her revisionism one was worse, unfilmed unfortunately, and I notice she has been defending govt. policy on science versus arts funding ex cathedra at TCD.

Interesting they took down the other link..but perhaps happenstance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RBinge
    We got these lectures stopped
    The link is broken. Any other source?
    I am about to report the broken link - should be ok when you look again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The ennobling of Sir P. Bartholomew Ahern approacheth. While the teaching of revisionism in Irish unis strikes some as problematic – how can you presume the moral force to levy taxes from people in order to pay lecturers to question your historical right to levy them? - here, in the US, Irish government policy reached fantastical heights of absurdity.

In 2005, the Irish consul-general in the western US decided to ignore the existence of a program in Irish studies in San Francisco and celtic studies at UC Berkeley, as well as the pleas of the Irish community here, and gave money to British studies to put on lectures in Irish studies. The sole historical lecturer was an arch-revisionist; check out http://ies.berkeley.edu/isiss/index.html. After the “Workshop with Professor Jane Ohlmeyer” Revisionism: Debates on Irish History I guess we can expect “Pro-choice; debates in reproductive rights” and “No zyclon; debates on the holocaust myth.”

We got these lectures stopped only after sending a delegation to Aengus O Snodaigh in the Dail; to his credit, Aengus asked a written question. In the meantime, the Irish state has not attended any of the main regular non-political cultural events here, including a whole Irish day put on by International House at UC Berkeley.

Does anyone have similar tales from the assimilation of the Irish to the British state?
    Ok why are you attacking FF on this one? Now as the link is broke, Im getting a bit confused.

The Irish Consul in California decided to give money to some one you disagree with? Am I right in thinking this is what is annoying you?
    For a Liberal Fianna Fáil perspective, take a look at www.donnachamaguire.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny
    Ok why are you attacking FF on this one? Now as the link is broke, Im getting a bit confused.

The Irish Consul in California decided to give money to some one you disagree with? Am I right in thinking this is what is annoying you?
    Not completely sure what he's getting at either. I think it's not that it's a lecturer he disagrees with specifically, it's that the content and politics of that lecturer are revisionist, anti-Irish or anti-Irish nationalism.

That, and the in fairness rather curious decision not to fund existing Irish Studies courses in California universities and instead to part fund a British Studies course.

Could do with a bit more information on it in fairness but when I lived in California the Irish-American community over there was quite touchy on this sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cain1798
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny

Not completely sure what he's getting at either. I think it's not that it's a lecturer he disagrees with specifically, it's that the content and politics of that lecturer are revisionist, anti-Irish or anti-Irish nationalism.

That, and the in fairness rather curious decision not to fund existing Irish Studies courses in California universities and instead to part fund a British Studies course.

Could do with a bit more information on it in fairness but when I lived in California the Irish-American community over there was quite touchy on this sort of thing.
    Thanks for that.

I dont think that FF have anything to do with it. Id say it was prob decided by the actual consul over there with no consultation back to Ireland?

Are we supposed to ignore anything that isnt Irish?
    For a Liberal Fianna Fáil perspective, take a look at www.donnachamaguire.com

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast