Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: UCC to charge students to graduate

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New UCC charge enrages students

After the outrage last week from students over the UCC presidents expenses (www.independent.ie/national-news/president-of-indebted-university-enjoying-the-high-life-2106272.html), students are now being asked to pay a conferring fee (www.corkstudentnews.com/breaking-news/main-news/ucc-conferring-charge-enrages-students/) on graduation. Apparently no explanation was offered for the introduction of the charge.

They’d want to take a look at their own finances before taking more of our money!”. Conor Lyons, a fist year Computer Science student called the move “disgraceful”, adding that graduation was a “right” of every student, and that charging for a right is ridiculous.
    Those graduation ‘In Absentia’ will have their parchment sent by post to their home address, rather than be handed it at a ceremony.
    - (http://www.corkstudentnews.com/break...rages-students)

There has already been a facebook group started to keep students up to date on the situation and might, one would hope, organise some sort of backlash against it.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "New UCC charge enrages students". </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 6th April 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Merged thread.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UCC to charge students to graduate

all UCC students got the following email last week.

you are going to have to pay €65 to attend the graduation ceremony.

Dear Students,

With effect from 1 April 2010, UCC will introduce a charge to all students who wish to attend their conferring ceremony.

The charge of €65 will apply to each student and their two guests choosing to attend their conferring ceremony and the post-ceremony reception. This charge will apply to Summer Conferrings in June, Autumn Conferrings in September and Winter Conferrings in December 2010.

UCC is currently adapting the e-payment facility on the Student Portal to accommodate this charge. Only online payments by Laser or Credit cards will be accepted. Only students eligible for conferring who have paid the conferring charge will receive their conferring informationpack, including tickets to attend the conferring ceremony and reception with their two guests.

Students who do not pay the conferring charge will be considered to have chosen to be conferred In Absentia and will not be able to attend the ceremony. Parchments for students conferred In Absentia will be posted to their college-registered home address following the conferring ceremonies. Further details will be available prior to the Summer Conferrings, including the deadline for payment of the conferring charge.

If you have any queries, please reply to this email address (m&c@ucc.ie)

Kind regards,
    The Office of Media & Communications

UCC
    Last edited by David Cochrane; 6th April 2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Put the letter in quote tags

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've moved this to Education

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jesus. Is that even legal? (The UCC charge, not David's move of the thread! )
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

major s.u. boycott campaign underway - coming so soon after expenses revelations it does not go down well

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is legal as long as registration fees and others are not meant for this activity. If however these fees are supposed to cover the ceremony then it is illegal.
    Electrical capacity=electrical generation
    In the understanding of SirCharles Post #573 "Bloomberg...renewables"

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    all UCC students got the following email last week.

you are going to have to pay 65 to attend the graduation ceremony.
    Perhaps more detail would help.

The college can charge for guests but if a student did not have the money to pay Im sure the college could not prevent him/her from attending their own grad ceremony.

Sounds like an april fools prank to me.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had to pay Trinity 250 pounds to get my degree because I went to DIT. This was after fees were abolished. Not only that I have to carry the shame of graduating from that institution even though I never went there.

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riven View Post
    It is legal as long as graduation ceremony costs are not paid for under the various fees etc.
    No I dont think so.

A student has a legal right to be conferred in person.

If the student is devoid of the means to contribute to the negligible cost of handing him/her their piece of paper then they have to be somehow accommodated.

Were they prevented the college might find itself in legal hot water.

[I am instructing my legal team on the issue as we speak]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast