Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil Disobedience - Is it an option?

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Exclamation Civil Disobedience - Is it an option?

To counter the outright thievery of the Irish people, regarding the banks and NAMA and the generations that will have to pay for their and FF/PDs mess and the current corrupt government (namely FF), is Civil Disobedience in the form of non-payment of taxes an option?

Now i realise, in part, the result of mass non-payment of taxes (where that the case) but something has to be done so that government and banks get the message. "NOT IN MY NAME"

If not what are the other options of civil disobedience and what effects might they have? Would they work or not? Is there support for such action, considering the widespread anger in the country?

In short i think it is high time that we, as a people, should peacefully protest and call on this government to step down and call a GE.
    Last edited by MrFunkyBoogaloo; 8th April 2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: addendum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    To counter the outright thievery of the Irish people, regarding the banks and NAMA and the generations that will have to pay for their and FF/PDs mess, is Civil Disobedience in the form of non-payment of taxes an option?

Now i realise, in part, the result of mass non-payment of taxes (where that the case) but something has to be done so that government and banks get the message. "NOT IN MY NAME"

If not what are the other options of civil disobedience and what effects might they have? Would they work or not? Is there support for such action, considering the widespread anger in the country?
    Goes against the grain. We've always obeyed the elite in this country. Would love to see it happen but.
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

MrFunkyBoogaloo

something simpler then? Let's face they can't afford to put thousands of people in gaol (depending of course on popular support)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is your alternative plan? You have to have an alternative option that you think is better to base a protest on.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I'm asking because i don't know. It appears prudent to stop paying taxes (to me that is) as a direct course of action against government policy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a question along these lines

- is it illegal to encourage others to spoil their vote in a general election?

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by markjbloggs View Post
    I have a question along these lines

- is it illegal to encourage others to spoil their vote in a general election?
    But isn't every vote counted? AFAIK, spoiled votes benefit someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    What is your alternative plan? You have to have an alternative option that you think is better to base a protest on.
    I don't think that's necessarily true. Most educated people realise that economies go through boom & bust periods & that at some stage tough decisions have to be made. If this was just a simple recession there wouldn't be the sense of anger around that there is. Individuals with names & addresses, rather than simply market forces took decisions which caused the collapse. Protests could be based on the fact that those individuals are not being made to suffer for their crimes.

Whatever happens & whoever is in power after the next election times will continue to be tough. Most people accept this. That state of affairs would be much easier to swallow however if it were not for the knowledge that Fitzpatrick et al will almost certainly get off scot free.
    "Partout où la liberté règne elle est incessamment attaquée et très souvent en péril” – Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    To counter the outright thievery of the Irish people, regarding the banks and NAMA and the generations that will have to pay for their and FF/PDs mess and the current corrupt government (namely FF), is Civil Disobedience in the form of non-payment of taxes an option?

Its difficult to astain from paying income tax when its stopped at source by your employer. As such his type of action would therefore be restricted to the self employed.
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle View Post
    Its difficult to astain from paying income tax when its stopped at source by your employer. As such his type of action would therefore be restricted to the self employed.
    I did have a question like that in the original version of the post but edited it (?!?)

Can PAYE workers stop their employer taking it at source?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast