Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Irish Secret Service

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Irish Secret Service

I remember a few years ago a sum of money was allocated to the Irish Secret Service in the Budget. I think it was in 1997. has anything more every been heard about them.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Irish Secret Service

Quote Originally Posted by daithimac
    I remember a few years ago a sum of money was allocated to the Irish Secret Service in the Budget. I think it was in 1997. has anything more every been heard about them.
    The financial allocation is passed every year by the Dail without question or debate. They do a damn good job by thr way.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what is the job they do? I heard rumor that the allocation is a slush fund to pay informants. I heard others that its a MI5 type agency.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They barely get enough to run an office. About 700K was the last annual figure I saw.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.......
    The political establishment lacks both vision and courage.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    They barely get enough to run an office. About 700K was the last annual figure I saw.
    Apparenly there isn't an office or a 'structure' as such, the money is just allocated between Army and Garda Intelligence
    Economic Left/Right: -3.13; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64
    University politics are so vicious, precisely because the stakes are so small.” Henry Kissinger

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A damn good job - so secretive no one knows that they exist
    Romanticist 75%, Fundamentalist 69%, Idealist 63%, Cultural Creative 63%, Postmodernist 56%, Modernist 44%, Existentialist 44%, Materialist 19%

Pro Deo, Rege et Patria, Hibernia Unanimis

Isn't the point of the secret service (in America anyway) just to protect the president? In other words, just paying for a few guys to stand beside her and look tough.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, guys, it's really not that exciting.

It's not a bodygaurd service, it's a slush fund used by Garda and Army Intel for the more calndestine parts of their work, not an actual service in it'sself.
    (How COULD it be, on 700 000)
    Signed, Universal (LGBT...QRSTUVWXYZ)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Secretary-General of the Department of Finance is the Accounting Officer for the Secret Service Vote (i.e. voted monies). S/he can be asked by the Public Accounts Committee what it is spent on or any other questions relating to it but it is custom and practice just to let the Vote pass 'on the nod' unchallenged. The last Minister to "create problems" about it by asking questions was John Boland of FG in the 1980s. He was quickly slapped down.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast