Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FF/SF or FF/FG which would FF choose?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FF/SF or FF/FG which would FF choose?

The next election could well leave a hung Dail between FF & the prospective Rainbow. With Rabbitte determined to keep Labour away from FF at all costs, SF may well hold the balance of power.

Much of the centre right middle class will be apoplectic at the prospect of a Fianna Fail/Sinn Fein coalition. Fianna Fail may well be worried about how its own soft middle class vote will react. The Fine Gael base will be terrified at the prospect at a FF/SF government and FG may well see it in its heart to dust of the “Tallaght Strategy” in “the National Interest” and give a minority FF government conditional FG support.

The question for FF people is:

Given the choice between FF/SF or FF/FG which would you choose and why? (& you can't cheat saying FF overall majority etc.)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh god i just read this thread...uuggghhh!!!

FF and FG please......

The reason quite simple that I would chose FG is that we banished the gun from our politics nearly 80 years ago so it would be ridulous to enter government with a party who have elements of the IRA tagging on to them. With a better leader in FG, we might get on OK with them anyway. Time to put the ould Civil war woes to rest. Essentially I feel that most parties in Irish politics could go into coalition as they are not that ideological far part.
    An eye for an eye makes us all blind
    Mohandas Gandhi

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heresy, Trojanhorse! :x

FF and FG will never coalesce. Perhaps in very unusual circumstances, such as 1987-89, FF could accept the unofficial support of FG, but a formal arrangement would not work.
    FF/SF will not become a possibility until the IRA goes away. Until that happens, there can be no arrangement. Afterwards, it becomes purely an issue of policy.

So to answer Paddy's question; in the event of a hung Dail, without IRA disbandment, I would be surprised if FF and Labour did not get together. But if they did not, a new election would probably be necessary.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ahhh come on if we really had to CJH...surely FG would be better than the Shinners!!!
    An eye for an eye makes us all blind
    Mohandas Gandhi

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The prospect of either option occurring are quite slim. Either option would cause me great distress but thankfully they're very unlikely. In such a scenario Labour will join us after ditching Pat or if we cannot find suitable Independents to support us we should form a minority government. FG or Labour would get the blame if a government couldn't be formed after the next election, if we couldn't form one they certainly couldn't.
    "Everyone hates Fianna Fáil except the electorate."

Unattributed correspondent, 1960s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hung Dáil, No prospect of deals---Another Election
    Percussus Resurgo

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a horrible choice TH, but of the two I'd have to plump for SF. But it won't come to that; PaddyDevlin is just stirring sh1t.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it's a tough choice alright but on balance i would go for FG now that our own party is more balanced with charlie gone and brennan demoted. Since then we've moved to the left so a deal with FG wouldn't be too bad, I just wish the shinners would let go of the IRA, I just don't trust them with the secret army knocking around.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegeneral
    In such a scenario Labour will join us after ditching Pat or if we cannot find suitable Independents to support us we should form a minority government
    Anyone who thinks that FF wil have enough seats to govern with the support of Independents is living in dreamland.

And for all you other fantasists out there: what do you think thee chances are of FG agreeing to prop up an FF government?!

I'd say its about as likely as Joe Cahill rising from the grave to lead the Ulster Unionist party.
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryW
    Anyone who thinks that FF wil have enough seats to govern with the support of Independents is living in dreamland.
    Anyone who thinks Enda Kenny will be Taoiseach after the next election is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Oh and by the way that statement concerning the independents shouldn't be discounted too suddenly. I still believe the only option that will arise will be for labour to go in with FF but if the pact doesn't go ahead and there's no cogent opposition put forward independent candidates could benefit, both sitting or otherwise.
    "Everyone hates Fianna Fáil except the electorate."

Unattributed correspondent, 1960s.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast