Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Let 16yr olds vote, they'll be paying for NAMA for the whole of their lives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Let 16yr olds vote, they'll be paying for NAMA for the whole of their lives

Why not let 16 yr olds vote, they'll be paying for the voting errors of all over 18 for the rest of their lives. Why not?
    "Never in the field of human endeavour was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why do you want to reduce the voting age to 16? Why 16 as against 15?
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
    Why not let 16 yr olds vote, they'll be paying for the voting errors of all over 18 for the rest of their lives. Why not?
    Because if they have any sense they'll emigrate - They're not responsible for the mess this country is now in, why should they have to pay for it ?

The entire basis of the property bubble, which was the major factor in destroying the Irish economy, was the so-called Irish Government of Fianna Fail gombeens allowing uncontrolled immigration to this country. Now our young people are being forced to emigrate. The criminals responsible for this should be paraded through the streets in chains.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just picked 16 because that age has been at the centre of some medical policy decisions in the recent past. But sure, 15, why not?

The Commission recommends that it should be provided in legislation that a person who is 16 years of age is presumed to have capacity to consent and refuse health care and medical treatment. In the context of refusal of life-sustaining treatment, it provisionally recommends that a 16-year-old may make a High Court application to have his purported refusal appraised. It also provisionally recommends that children aged over 12 years of age but less than 14 years of age may not be regarded as capable of refusing medical treatment.

Irish Medical Times | Opinion | Children and medical treatment
    "Never in the field of human endeavour was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good idea, Most 16yr olds I know are far more intelligent and better informed than most of the over 60's I know.

Surely the right to vote should be in accordance with intellectual capability, rather than some chronological abstract. Lets face it, if the right to vote was confined to IQ of 100+, then FF would not exist. Or FG for that matter.

Democracy has failed Ireland because you're counting heads instead of what's in them - Too many morons voted for Fianna Fail who have done far more damage to this country than the Black and Tans ever did ! .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris Celtica View Post
    Democracy has failed Ireland because you're counting heads instead of what's in them - Too many morons voted for Fianna Fail who have done far more damage to this country than the Black and Tans ever did ! .
    SO why shouldn't the people (u16's) who will pay for this (and many of whom already pay income tax) get a vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
    I agree, but I'd go further.

For adults, the only qualification is whether they have the capacity to cast the vote. I don't see why it should be any different for people under 18.

Children are treated with contempt in this country, and I can't see that changing until they have political power. I've never heard a rational argument against this that was not also articulated to deny women, blacks, catholics or others the vote.

I'm willing to reconsider if someone can come up with one, along with an effective alternative to guarantee children's rights.
    Here's How, Ireland's political, social and current affairs podcast; Call the show on 076 603 5060 to record your contribution for the next show.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    Good idea, Most 16yr olds I know are far more intelligent and better informed than most of the over 60's I know.

Surely the right to vote should be in accordance with intellectual capability, rather than some chronological abstract. Lets face it, if the right to vote was confined to IQ of 100+, then FF would not exist. Or FG for that matter.
    So you would suggest that we replace 'some chronological abstract' (what's that?) with an 'I.Q' score?

Can we take it you would take only one type of intellegence into consideration when deciding who should vote?

Do you think that people with a high IQ will automatically have good judgement? Do you think that someone with an 'I.Q' of 99 will automatically have a poorer judgement than someone who scores 100?

The knowledge which a sixteen year old has and which a sixty year old lacks may not be vital when making a decision about who should govern the country. I'd prefer a voter who has some maturity and life experience making that decision.

I know some wonderful, intelligent sixteen year olds.
    But I wouldn't let one of them make a decision about something which would have long-term implications for others.
    Last edited by uriah; 3rd April 2010 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uriah View Post
    (1)The knowledge which a sixteen year old has and which a sixty year old lacks may not be vital when making a decision about who should govern the country. (2)I'd prefer a voter who has some maturity and life experience making that decision.

I know some wonderful, intelligent sixteen year olds.
    (3)But I wouldn't let one of them make a decision about something which would have long-term implications for others.
    1. Or maybe it is. I imagine that young people have more of a focus on the future.
    2. Every voter would prefer that only voters who agree with them would vote, but in a democracy all voices should be heard
    3. Cos greying bankers, developers and politicians do such a better job?
    Here's How, Ireland's political, social and current affairs podcast; Call the show on 076 603 5060 to record your contribution for the next show.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast