Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Shocking video shows hare coursing is still barbaric.

Gadjodilo

Default Shocking video shows hare coursing is still barbaric.

Quote Originally Posted by k_______
    I follow coursing and try my best to make a living from it. I enjoy it and none of the coursing fraternity want to see 1 hare getting killed, you may ask why do I follow/support coursing. It was built in to me as young person growing up in Ireland and I've met a number of lifelong friends from it and for that I'm grateful. For followers it's a sport (not a bloodsport following introduction of muzzles) so it's very similar to someone being passionate about GAA or Athletics, just another sport. A little off the point but the reason for the post is to put into context why people follow sports like coursing.
    The above comment was put up by someone in another thread. The point about hare-coursing being no longer a bloodsport has been contested for some time by animal rights activists. And now they have the video evidence to prove they were right all along.

The footage below was taken by the Association of Hunt Saboteurs Ireland at the Powerstown Park coursing final on February 3rd this year.This shows a wounded hare slowly dying in the "escape" enclosure.

The hare is left in severe pain, wriggling and dying. No one comes to his assistance and so he dies a slow and distressing death. He cannot stand up, having been tossed around by the two dogs. This hare obviously ran in fear to the escape hatch despite already sustaining bone breaks and internal injuries.

Also, at 1m 24s, a greyhound clearly enters the hare's "escape" enclosure. This shows the slip to be too high, allowing the chased hares no sanctuary.

This proves beyond all doubt that live hare coursing is still inherently cruel despite attempts by the Irish Coursing Council to claim otherwise. What's more - they're not regulating it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTi2k6nfJSo&feature=email"]YouTube- HARE COURSING FINAL 2010 FOOTAGE of dying Hare.[/ame]

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

"We are where we are" - Brian Cowen
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw that and was quite shocked. However, I then saw this on the Irish Coursing Clubs website Irish Coursing Club

The article states that
    Beside it being patently impossible for the “dying hare” portion to have taken place during the National Meeting, in several frames it most disturbingly reveals the hare is restrained by a wire around its neck (and possibly one limb), the wire then extending to the right of the hare, intermittently being pulled. It is also worth noting that the camera often pans to the left but never to the right, the direction from which the wire is coming from. This observation is supported by the fact that the hare’s head never moves from its original position in spite of convulsing and desperate attempts to free itself. The hare is highly likely to have been poisoned or partially sedated for effect.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw this video and I can guarantee you a hare would not be left in that sitaution byt he Irish Coursing Club this was an orchestrated event by people who say they have the interest of animals at heart.... bo**ocks (sorry for the language but I'm infuriated)

PRESS RELEASE 31 March 2010

On Tuesday, 30 March 2010, a disturbingly engineered video purporting to have recorded a “dying hare” at the National Coursing Meeting, February 3, 2010 was released to the Youtube website by the Association of Hunt Saboteurs Ireland. It was also distributed to all TDs as “evidence of the brutality” of hare coursing. The video begins with coursing footage from the National Meeting and ends with its subject matter, the “dying hare”.
    The ICC completely and unreservedly condemns and rejects the claims of the video and most strongly denies the authenticity of the subject matter itself.
    A second inspection of the video by ICC officials and members as well as IT and veterinary experts exposes it as a deliberately orchestrated effort to discredit the hare welfare policies and practices of the ICC.
    Beside it being patently impossible for the “dying hare” portion to have taken place during the National Meeting, in several frames it most disturbingly reveals the hare is restrained by a wire around its neck (and possibly one limb), the wire then extending to the right of the hare, intermittently being pulled. It is also worth noting that the camera often pans to the left but never to the right, the direction from which the wire is coming from. This observation is supported by the fact that the hare’s head never moves from its original position in spite of convulsing and desperate attempts to free itself. The hare is highly likely to have been poisoned or partially sedated for effect.
    The location and number of paddock stewards, staff, and 24 hour security personnel during the National Meeting make it virtually impossible for the “dying hare” portion of the video to have taken place at the claimed time, and there are numerous inconsistencies with the video. Differences in the quality of the video between the coursing footage and the “dying hare” footage are obvious, and the PA system background sound from the coursing portion is completely absent from the “dying hare” sequence. In addition, any further claims that this did take place during the National Meeting and the hare was not intentionally restrained are met with the hard fact that it was more important for the person with the camera to “get the shot” than try to relieve the hare’s suffering and seek the help of the on-site veterinarian or paddock stewards.
    A break-in to the hare compound was discovered on a day previous to the National Meeting, and was reported to and is on record with the Gardai. The location of the damage to the fencing from the break-in is in immediate proximity to the angle of the camera and the direction from which the wire around the hares neck is being pulled.
    Further claims of greyhounds breaking into the hare compound during the National Meeting are completely without basis, and these and other details point to people who will go to any lengths to achieve their aims and have no reservations whatsoever of sacrificing one hare to do so. It is a desperate and deplorable agenda. This is a shocking and disgraceful attempt to discredit the dedicated organising committee of the National Meeting and the ICC from a group of people who allege to oppose animal cruelty. Minister Gormley is notified of our findings, given he was provided this footage to investigate the matter. It is well documented how animal rights activists have “sacrificed” animals in the furtherance of their cause. It is worth noting that the alleged authors of this video are claimed to be Polish and therefore difficult to trace or interview; it is unusual at best that it took two months to “launch” their production on the unsuspecting public. The timing of the controlled release of this video was clearly designed to generate impact at an opportunistic time. These are the actions of treacherous people who will stop at nothing to achieve their agenda and must be exposed to the greater public, our elected representatives and the decent people of Ireland.
    Legal counsel is being sought, and the video and all other supporting information will be left with the Gardai today, who have already been so notified of this serious matter of inflicted animal cruelty and trespass. Additional confidential evidence and detail will be provided to the Gardai to assist with their investigation. The targeted TDs and other government officials will also be so informed, and we encourage anyone with additional evidence or observations to contact the ICC immediately.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post
    I saw that and was quite shocked. However, I then saw this on the Irish Coursing Clubs website Irish Coursing Club

The article states that

The wire is clearly visible.
    Thread title should be changed to 'Shocking video shows anti bloodsports group go to sick lengths to further their cause.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kate1001 View Post
    I saw this video and I can guarantee you a hare would not be left in that sitaution byt he Irish Coursing Club this was an orchestrated event by people who say they have the interest of animals at heart.... bo**ocks (sorry for the language but I'm infuriated)
    "the hare welfare policies and practices of the ICC" isn't "bo**ocks" either then?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not and unless you're close to coursing don't comment on something you know nothing about. I can assure that hares are treated extremely well while in the hands of the ICC and assigned wildlife officers. This isn't the first time they would have done something like this. In the past they spread fields with tacks to injure dogs - They (a small minority) are well capable of trying to pulll a stunt off like this.

This video is simply not authentic that's all I'm saying end of, why is that hare away from the rest of the group, why doesn't video move to the right, why is a wire visible in the video, why can't you hear the crowd of about 10,000. It's a load of rubbish and the people who tried to do this are an insult to people who do actually campaign for animal welfare. Last post from me on this as I'm disgusted.

Gadjodilo

Ah, the sound of panic. Perhaps if the ICC had been doing its job all these years, they wouldn't be in these straits now.

1. It is also worth noting that the camera often pans to the left but never to the right, the direction from which the wire is coming from.
    Just a minor point I have to make. It actually does pan to the right at 1m 53s.

2. it most disturbingly reveals the hare is restrained by a wire around its neck
    Well, if ye can see a wire, ye'll be able to post a screen print here showing the wire. Don't do it in such a way so that the wire is obscured - use arrows or something like that.

3. This observation is supported by the fact that the hare’s head never moves from its original position in spite of convulsing and desperate attempts to free itself
    Perchance, if one's neck is broken, one isn't able to move one's head.

4. It is worth noting that the alleged authors of this video are claimed to be Polish and therefore difficult to trace or interview
    Damn fodiners! Why are Polish people difficult to trace or interview? Have they powers of invisibility?

5. I note there is no comment on how easily the dogs were able to access what is supposed to be a sanctuary zone for the hare.

Gadjodilo

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

"We are where we are" - Brian Cowen
    I have to say that when muzzling was brought in, I supported it. It seemed a sensible compromise. Many animal lovers believed that too. How wrong and naive we were to believe that ICC officials could be trusted to implement their own rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kate1001 View Post
    It's not and unless you're close to coursing don't comment on something you know nothing about. I can assure that hares are treated extremely well while in the hands of the ICC and assigned wildlife officers.
    Stop being so ridiculous claiming the ICC treats hares well. The hares mean about as much to them as clay pigeons do to shooting clubs. It's just the fear of being caught breaking the regulations makes them put on that front.

There's a lenghty thread here on p.ie about hare coursing:

No action yet to save endangered Irish Hare

Knock yourself out there and don't do what the usual suspects do. Hop onto the end of the thread and ask a question that has already been answered/addressed at least once already. Read the whole thread first if you want to join in the discussion there. Unfortunately you'll find I know quite a bit about the subject, although you seem to have already dismissed that possibility.

Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast