Thread: 2014 the year of the diaspora in ireland

Talking 2014 the year of the diaspora in ireland

2014 [or other year] THE YEAR OF THE DIASPORA to focus on Irish culture

Thinking of a project which might UNITE all the Irish whether in Ireland or
    elsewhere to make a concerted effort, which would be culturally enhancing
    and be a business too ,I came up with the idea of having
    A DIASPORA YEAR.
    The idea would be to get virtually everone in Ireland involved in thinking
    about what it means to be IRISH, whether you are In Ireland or abroad.
    Not just thinking ,but coming up with ideas for local and National events.

The YEAR of events would be on Irish soil,but while the majority of these
    would be residents many would come from far and wide to take part in events ,
    to create events.
    Only when you live outside in Europe especially France can you appreciate
    the uniqueness of a culture ,which has given it's name to Irishness.
    There is of course a lot of b.......s.. too ,but I am talikng about
    revealing the real Ireland of the past ,Celtic ,and so on ,the Ireland connected with France through
    St. Patrick , The Flight of the Earls and after,the MODERN Ireland, including science,business
    and more recent History.
    While much of this would have to be taken on, preferably by private companies,IRISH of course
    ,and cultured etc. I would only support the whole concept if it was used as a method to involve all Irish
    ,who love Ireland .

It would be a way to involve those who have felt excluded by the Tiger whose stories were ignored
    by the ignorant empty heads in power and in the SHOPPING malls.
    There would need to contacts made with the diaspora which is less obvious too ,for example in France
    ,our shelter until the famine ,and which has many Irish roots.

Spain too ,and not forgetting all the others that we know about.
    I have said 2014,but another date could be chosen.

What do you think folks, concrete ideas welcome ?

The idea is to involve all from school children ,historians , storytellers, local communities ,
    musicians, artists business people ,friends family,and business Irish abroad .
    I would like to see an emphasis on Gaelic culture, and it's specialness etc.

It worked in Glasgow to have a FOCUS year for culture,and brought world interest,
    and that is what is needed.
    Last edited by greenporcupine; 24th April 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Any pride the Irish diaspora had in Ireland has all but evaporated when they see the total mismanagement of the economy which has seen the country not only bankrupt but colonised by Eastern Europe with help from other such other economic powerhouses as Pakistan and Nigeria.

We have proved conclusively that we couldn't be trusted to run our own country. The men of 1916 must be spinning in their graves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd agree. The majority of people who have been fortunate enough to be able to emigrate would hardly have any interest in coming back to the country that forced them out, to celebrate 'Irishness'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hasn't McWilliams been beating this drum for years? I just finished The Generation Game, which was written in 2006.
    By the way, why 2014? I know 1014 has significance, but it looks suspiciously like another West Brit circle jerk about WW1. Why not 2016? The good guys were inside the GPO, after all.
    I have no objection to your plan. We have a uniquely stupid attitude to our diaspora (speaking as a returned ex-pat). Personally, I believe we need to strengthen our language and culture, which are the main attractions to tourists. Running a very, very close second to that is to take real care -- not Gomgreen care of Tara, for example -- of our history, architecture and landscape. We need access to walking routes, and safe cycle routes around the country.
    As per McWilliams, the Diaspora needs some kind of "right of return." Not citizenship necessarily, but the right to a working visa as long as they can prove a solid personal or familial connection. And, by the way again, I would revoke citizenship rights for grand kids. Parents are enough. Anyone else with an interest should be given the right to come here and look for work.

Quote Originally Posted by LowIQ View Post
    Hasn't McWilliams been beating this drum for years? I just finished The Generation Game, which was written in 2006.
    By the way, why 2014? I know 1014 has significance, but it looks suspiciously like another West Brit circle jerk about WW1. Why not 2016? The good guys were inside the GPO, after all.
    I have no objection to your plan. We have a uniquely stupid attitude to our diaspora (speaking as a returned ex-pat). Personally, I believe we need to strengthen our language and culture, which are the main attractions to tourists. Running a very, very close second to that is to take real care -- not Gomgreen care of Tara, for example -- of our history, architecture and landscape. We need access to walking routes, and safe cycle routes around the country.
    As per McWilliams, the Diaspora needs some kind of "right of return." Not citizenship necessarily, but the right to a working visa as long as they can prove a solid personal or familial connection. And, by the way again, I would revoke citizenship rights for grand kids. Parents are enough. Anyone else with an interest should be given the right to come here and look for work.
    Don't be so suspicious,no West Brit me .The date came as a calculation that it would be best not to lose time,as every year until something drastic is done is a down hill one.
    The idea is to FOCUS on the idea of a RENAISSANCE of Irish culture
    within ONE Year .
    I was in Glasgow as I have described in is 2011is it the last ?
    THe year of Architecture ,and before it the garden festival FOCUSSED
    people on specific goals and time scales ,that is the important thing.
    Everyone was involved ,from Housing schemes to gardiners ,architects,
    schools ,.In Ireland we are teaming with talent of a cultural form ,and the idea is to get a few people together who represent a variety of interests
    Start a fundraising campaign,and lay out general plans .All must be involved
    except those who squandered the Tiger years.
    As soon as possible make a year to aim for .
    The energy that was available in those years needs a focus ,but a more
    inclusive one ,and that is the Diaspora.
    I hope that the lessons learned in the last months might be that selfish narrow interests ,cultural vandalism,ignoring your true culture roots brings only 'death '.
    There needs to be a reawakening to what it means not only to the Irish and it's diaspora,but as a part of world people culture which is is being destroyed in the name of progress.
    In France they have been talking about what it means to be French etc.

There is a change of energy,less deception which should be taken advantage of.
    My only concern is to keep it out of the hands cynics and the greedy .
    It is a people thing with a view to highlighting a 'jewel' of a culture ,and healing old wounds caused by emmigration.
    The French and others want to know not only about the 'dancing etc they want to know about linked history,the 'famine years 'and the real truth about that etc,and meet real people in their homes etc.
    Oh there are French who are part of the Diaspora tooo.
    Naturally it has to make money.Real sustainable tourism is a start

2016 is a great idea,so lets go for it.
    A year of culture especially for the diaspora ,and as a TRIBUTE to those brave men.
    The energy of the times has changed ,and many lessons learned.
    Some never learn but ignore them.
    The title DIASPORA is very important .IT is inclusive,and will make people feel important which they were not made to feel during the LOST Tiger years.
    It is a time for the Irish to cohese ,and learn about themselves, not as trash consumers ,but as a cultured people,a real people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greenporcupine View Post
    Don't be so suspicious,no West Brit me.
    I'll take your word for that.

The idea is to FOCUS on the idea of a RENAISSANCE of Irish culture
    within ONE Year .
    I don't disagree with the idea. But as I said, McWilliams started and now seems to have been hobbled by the Civil Service. What can we do about that?

I hope that the lessons learned in the last months might be that selfish narrow interests ,cultural vandalism,ignoring your true culture roots brings only 'death '.
    There needs to be a reawakening to what it means not only to the Irish and it's diaspora,but as a part of world people culture which is is being destroyed in the name of progress.
    In France they have been talking about what it means to be French etc.
    I agree. I have lived in France, too. That is where the importance of our own language was driven home to me. After that, I went to The Netherlands and discovered the joys of bilingualism.

There is a change of energy,less deception which should be taken advantage of.
    My only concern is to keep it out of the hands cynics and the greedy .
    It is a people thing with a view to highlighting a 'jewel' of a culture ,and healing old wounds caused by emmigration.
    The French and others want to know not only about the 'dancing etc they want to know about linked history,the 'famine years 'and the real truth about that etc,and meet real people in their homes etc.
    Oh there are French who are part of the Diaspora tooo.
    Naturally it has to make money.Real sustainable tourism is a start
    I cannot disagree with anything you said, although I would be wary about 2014 and its association with the "Great War" and the "freedom of small nations (except your own)" and all that. Like I said, 1014 would be a better date to latch on to.
    We have a lot to offer still, despite our gombeen politicians and the dead hand of the "public service." Both of which are the voters' fault, btw. We need to tap in to the Diaspora in a meaningful way. There are 70 million of them. Many of them are very educated and very wealthy. There can be a mutually beneficial exchange. McWilliams' mistake was trying to involve the politicians and civil service.
    Last edited by LowIQ; 28th March 2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: messed up the quotes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's so easy to ridicule and pour scorn on such sentiments - fashionable too with many it seems in "modern" Ireland. Sad really.

Sounds a good idea to me. 1014 is also the 1000th anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf. I wonder if there are any plans to commemorate it in any way.
    I suspect our "betters" in D4-land will be distracted by plans to "celebrate" the efforts of Irishmen in helping Mother Britannia to victory in WWI.

but I am talikng about
    revealing the real Ireland of the past ,Celtic ,and so on
    The loss of the Irish language for most of our people has had the effect of alienating them from our true heritage and history.
    Terms like "Irishness" or "traditional Ireland" tend to bring images of Ireland in the 18th and 19th centuries to most peoples minds - the absolute nadir of Ireland's history, when we were never so defeated, despondent and degraded.
    Why is this?
    The language of the conqueror in the mouth of the conquered is ever the language of the slave. - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by Caothaoir View Post
    Terms like "Irishness" or "traditional Ireland" tend to bring images of Ireland in the 18th and 19th centuries to most peoples minds - the absolute nadir of Ireland's history, when we were never so defeated, despondent and degraded.
    Why is this?
    Untrue - We've never been so defeated, despondent and degraded as we are now - Fianna Fail have been allowed to destroy our once proud country both economically and socially. Lisbon has been forced upon us against the will of the Irish people - making us truly a province once again, and an impoverished one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caothaoir View Post
    The loss of the Irish language for most of our people has had the effect of alienating them from our true heritage and history.
    Nonsense. The loss of the Irish language has absolutely nothing to do with it. If anything Irish people were alienated from the so-called Irish language by having it forced down their necks in schools and by being excluded from the public service if they hadn't got Leaving Certificate "Irish". Our true heritage and history have been destroyed and sold out by Fianna Fail.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast