Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any electoral future for The Green Party??

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Any electoral future for The Green Party??

A study of various threads has led me to the conclusion the Greens will lose Dáil seats in:

Carlow /Kilkenny
    Dun Laoghaire
    Dublin Mid-West
    Dublin South East

And could even be in danger in
    Dublin N.
    and

Dublin S.

They have no Councillors in Dublin (apart from a guy on Balbriggan Town Council which is of itself a historical anachronism) and a couple of other councillors scattered here and there.

They don't have much chance of gains in Cork, Louth or Galway where they do have a presence.

The Party is split between real Greens and Greens lite I feel.

Will they be trounced at the next election and have to go back to their roots to be decontaminated from this spell in Government with FF?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're finished

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They' re absolutely dead in the water in Dun Laoighaire, Carlow/Kilkenny, they're in severe trouble in Dublin South East, and deep trouble in Dublin South & Dublin Mid-West (mainly because it's Gogarty) and less trouble in Dublin North.

I think Sargent is the only one for a good prospect of being returned -Gogarty would be the best bet if he was any of the other 5 TDs and not himself... I had thought they were a safe bet for a 'ZERO', but I'm thinking Sargent handled himself with a degree of class and might be ok.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A spell of them in opposition with Labour making hard decisions in government will revive them a bit.

What kind of elected representation is left though?

Three county councillors - Clare, Kilkenny and Louth.

Where do they have town councillors?

Balbriggan
    Youghal
    Kinsale
    Last edited by locke; 25th March 2010 at 02:30 PM.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd much rather FF lost 5 more seats than the Greens.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 maybe 2 seats left (Sergeant and Cuffe) but thats a push.

Any party with an ounce of electoral strategy would be targetting their seats right now, the soft underbelly to this current government.

And it is a sad day. The Greens were seduced by Bertie and have not shown any backbone since succumbing to the FF Beast. There is still a place in Ireland for a Green Party but it must be a genuine Green Party and not some farce that it is now.

Wow, carbon tax and new lightbulbs and all those other green initiatives well done there, but at what price!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDeClare View Post
    1 maybe 2 seats left (Sergeant and Cuffe) but thats a push.

Any party with an ounce of electoral strategy would be targetting their seats right now, the soft underbelly to this current government.

And it is a sad day. The Greens were seduced by Bertie and have not shown any backbone since succumbing to the FF Beast. There is still a place in Ireland for a Green Party but it must be a genuine Green Party and not some farce that it is now.

Wow, carbon tax and new lightbulbs and all those other green initiatives well done there, but at what price!!
    Cuffe has no chance in Dun Laoghaire (its been reduced to 4 seats)

If i was losing my job in 2 years id make sure i had my ministerial penision sorted.
    I believe that children are the future

Unless we stop them now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Swings and Roundabouts.

We'll be having this conversation about Labour in 5 years time.

Labour have created an army of Hostages to Fortune over the last 3 years, all of which will be around to haunt them in a FG led Government that has to nurse a structural deficit of €14bn for the duration of the next Dail.

The cuts that the Greens have had to stand over will be pretty timid when compared to what Labour will have to defend.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

They lost out on a natural seat on Waterford city council because their candidate was a Galwegian serial objector.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carlovian View Post
    Cuffe has no chance in Dun Laoghaire (its been reduced to 4 seats)

If i was losing my job in 2 years id make sure i had my ministerial penision sorted.
    Apologies, there are so many Green TDs i got confused. The second seat , and this is a pure outside chance is Gogarty not Cuffe. Whatever his fits of madness and general mischief he will be the only Green TD who will not have been a minister and this might play favourably with the public.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast