Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regulated by the Financial Regulator - The Irony!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Regulated by the Financial Regulator - The Irony!

Ironic that all adverts and marketing by any of the banks, insurance companies etc., have to contain a "sign-off" statement making it clear that - blah, blah blah is Regulated by the Financial Regulator.

Unusual, in that it's anathema, normally, to put any negatives on marketing materials
    But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I'm aware, it's a legal requirement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is, but to use the Alanais song - Isn't it Ironic?
    But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

regulated by coco the clown would carry more reassurance

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MadAsHell View Post
    It is, but to use the Alanais song - Isn't it Ironic?
    Well I suppose you could make a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland that the ad is misleading because it says they're regulated by the Financial Regulator, if you're arguing that they're not.

Tho making a complaint like that may be more for the purposes of mischief than anything else!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And it might actually be worth the effort soon
    DUBLIN (Dow Jones)--Irish Finance Minister Brian Lenihan said Monday he will publish a bill this week to reform and strengthen the powers of the Central Bank of Ireland and the Financial Services Authority of Ireland.
    Irish Finance Ministry Plans To Reform Central Bank, Regulator - WSJ.com
    Regards, Pat Gill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To me it seems that the Financial Regulator was very good at focusing on minutia like ensure that bank ads had tag lines like "Regulated by the Financial Regulator. The value of shares may fall as well as rise. Past performance is no indication of future performance....."

This gave the impression that they were doing something i.e. making sure all the T's were crossed and all the I's were dotted. Meanwhile, they were letting the banks away with all sorts of insane behaviour in the areas that are actually very important that need to be regulated !!

I think these tags were entirely about optics.

I mean, who would you expect was regulating the banks ? The Food Safety Authority, or maybe the National Framework Committee for Work/Life Balance Enterprise

It's hardly necessary to cut into expensive advertising time with a statement of what is quite obvious to most people anyway!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why are they still advertising anyway ,i don't see the point of them spending huge sums on advertising when they are begging off the state.before the bank gaurantee is renewed they should all have to cut down to 30% of their current size and present their accounts to anyone who asks,let them be regulated by everyone

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regulated by the Financial Regulator (Whispers In theory though maybe not in practise)

Politics.ie Member Hillmanhunter1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManfredJudge View Post
    Regulated by the Financial Regulator (Whispers In theory though maybe not in practise)
    We were told that the Financial Regulator was a principles-based regulator, however this approach may have been mis-interpreted as regulated in principle (but not in practice).
    UK exports to EU = 48%. EU exports to U.K. = 8 %. RoI exports to UK = 14%. RoI exports to EU = 50%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast