Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David McWilliams to take to the stage in "Outsiders"

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default David McWilliams to take to the stage in "Outsiders"

The Abbey Theatre is delighted to present the world premiere of OUTSIDERS by leading economist and commentator David McWilliams on the Peacock stage, opening on Wednesday 16 June (previews from 9 June). David McWilliams takes to the stage in an event which is part stand up, part discussion, part social observation and is directed by award-winning director Conall Morrison.
    Abbey Theatre Presents World Premiere of ?Outsiders? by David McWilliams | David McWilliams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope McWilliams has put himself forward for the SEEDS initiative designed to "seek out, enable, encourage, develop and stage the work of a new generation of theatre talent".

It's run by Rough Magic theatre company and funded by the Arts Council and, eh, Allied Irish Banks.

Sadly, the same programme didn't recognise my own artistic genius when I pitched "NAMA: the Musical" (tagline: "It's the only show in town!"), featuring reworkings of classic Jungle Book tunes such as The Bare Necessities, My Own Home, That's What Friends Are For (The Vulture Song), and Trust In Me (The Python's Song). Also featured is a touching song-and-dance paen to the strategic decision making of Irish banks vis a vis the apparent success of Anglo Irish Bank: I Wann'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero View Post
    Sadly, the same programme didn't recognise my own artistic genius when I pitched "NAMA: the Musical" (tagline: "It's the only show in town!"), featuring reworkings of classic Jungle Book tunes such as The Bare Necessities, My Own Home, That's What Friends Are For (The Vulture Song), and Trust In Me (The Python's Song). Also featured is a touching song-and-dance paen to the strategic decision making of Irish banks vis a vis the apparent success of Anglo Irish Bank: I Wann'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song).
    I'd go and see it. I'd even buy the cd soundtrack for sale in the foyer.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stay gold Ponyboy.
    Last edited by Dillinger; 22nd March 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Red View Post
    I'd go and see it. I'd even buy the cd soundtrack for sale in the foyer.
    Maybe I'll do it as a pantomime instead.

Anglo banker: "Where's the Regulator?"
    The audience: "He's behind you!"
    Anglo banker: "He sure is!" *evil laugh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nationwide tour underway

Maybe I'll do it as a pantomime instead.

Anglo banker: "Where's the Regulator?"
    The audience: "He's behind you!"
    Anglo banker: "He sure is!" *evil laugh*
    Plenty of evil laughs at his sold out show in the Everyman Cork last night and a lot more beside, followed by a Q and A.

Remaining dates -

Town Hall Theatre, Galway
    Tuesday 30 November, 8pm
    Tickets €18/15 (conc.)
    Booking: 091-569777/ Now Playing: The Performance Corporation Slattery?s Sago Saga - 29 Nov

Glór, Ennis
    Thursday 1 December, 8pm
    Tickets – €18/€15 (conc.)
    Booking: 065 6843103 / www.glór.ie

Backstage Theatre, Longford
    Thursday 2 December, 8.30pm
    Tickets €18/€16 (conc.)
    Bookings 043 3347888 / Entertainment - Backstage Theatre, what's on in Longford

Dunamaise Arts Centre, Portlaoise
    Friday 3 December, 8pm
    Tickets €20/€16 (conc.)
    Booking: 057 8663355 / Dunamaise Arts Centre

Siamsa Tíre, Kerry
    Saturday 4, Sunday 5 December, 8pm
    Tickets €19
    Booking: (066) 7123055 / What's On in Kerry, Kerry Entertainment, Concerts in Kerry, Event Listings - Siamsa Tire, National Folk Theatre of Ireland, Tralee, Co. Kerry.

Pavilion Theatre, Dun Laoghaire
    Tuesday 7 & Wednesday 8 December, 8pm
    Tickets: TBC
    Booking: 01 231 2929 / The Pavilion Theatre | Welcome

Garterlane, Waterford
    Monday 13 December
    Tickets: TBC
    Booking: 051 855038 / www.garterlane.ie

Draíocht, Blanchardstown
    Main Auditorium
    Tuesday 14 December, 8pm
    Tickets: €18 / €14 (conc.)
    Booking: 01-885 2622 / Draíocht Arts Centre - Blanchardstown Dublin 15 Ireland

Riverbank Arts Centre, Kildare
    Wednesday 15 December, 8pm
    Tickets : €20/ €18 (conc.)
    Book 045 448327 / Riverbank Arts Centre, Main Street, Newbridge, Co.Kildare | Entertainment, Comedy, Film, Cinema, Theatre, Arts, Workshops, Gigs, Music, Exhibitions, Children's Events in Newbridge, Kildare

An Grianán Theatre, Letterkenny
    Thursday 16 December, 8pm
    Tickets €20/€15 (conc.)
    Booking: 074 912 0777 / Entertainment : Letterkenny : Theatre : Donegal : Venue : Drama : Comedy : Music : Fun : Family : An Grianán Theatre :

Nationwide Tour of ‘Outsiders’ | David McWilliams
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In all fairness, the Abbey gets a grant of 30 million euro to be a theatre. That's a Greek word which brings to mind the great tragedies of Sophocles and Euripides. Sure, it great that McWillaims has a platform to do his thing - but thats not drama. If the management of the Abbey cant find drama in our present crisis, then its time for them to step aside and let better men and women take their place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    In all fairness, the Abbey gets a grant of 30 million euro to be a theatre. That's a Greek word which brings to mind the great tragedies of Sophocles and Euripides. Sure, it great that McWillaims has a platform to do his thing - but thats not drama. If the management of the Abbey cant find drama in our present crisis, then its time for them to step aside and let better men and women take their place.
    I'm not sure the Abbey is ready just yet for Stalin! The Musical

Also, the monologue is an established dramatic form, as is the one-man/woman show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure the Abbey is ready just yet for Stalin! The Musical

Also, the monologue is an established dramatic form, as is the one-man/woman show.

The stage set features a series of moving and still images on a back projection, shifting from the National Debt Clock ticking away, to Bertie in the Dodder, and various points in between.

His story about being sent to the Dorchester in 1992 as a Central Bank representative to persuade sovereign bondholders that Ireland would not devalue the Punt was hilarious and revealing.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PorT Laoise Friday, Siamsa Tíre, Saturday,

The Examiner has this from Gordon Deegan about the audience discussion in Ennis:
    Mr McWilliams warned that the austerity plan will result in increased unemployment and emigration.

"Irish people need to take back decision-making. Our political class needs to be aware that the deal with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) is not in our interests. We need to make our politicians aware of the fact that they won’t get our vote if they stand over the deal with the IMF."

Mr McWilliams also hit out at the bondholders, describing them as ‘bullies’ -

"They need to be told what to do. Rather than stand up to the bullies, every single time we get an opportunity to stand up to them, we say ‘what would you like us to do?’."

Mr McWilliams said that instead of paying off the banks’ debts, there needs to be a debt equity swap with the European banks owed money.

"We should tell them that we can’t pay you all of the debts, but we have a plan, ‘you take a share of our banks and we work together and the banks are still breathing and then recover and then you get paid back’."

"This allows us to grow and recover and prevents the crisis that is happening all over Europe."

"We don’t want to default. We are not a delinquent nation, but the figures are just too big."

McWilliams: Plan will vaporise the economy | Irish Examiner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast