Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes over on IrishTimes.com

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Changes over on IrishTimes.com

I noticed a comment this morning on the Today's Paper section of the Irish Times website saying that from March 15th (in fact it's the 18th) that page would be becoming the page for the Irish Times e-Paper.

I've looked into things, and a decision has been made to remove the more obvious "newspaper" presentational elements from the website.

If you want to see what's in the actual newspaper, you can either buy the newspaper in a shop, or view the e-Paper, for which a subscription will be €89 a year.

The content from the newspaper will still be online, but it won't be obvious that it's from the published newspaper.

I spoke to IrishTimes.com Editor Hugh Linehan earlier who said that the physical newspaper was still their "bread and butter" and as a result they needed to protect that element of the business, whilst at the same time focussing on more quality content (especially new media) on IrishTimes.com.

This isn't in effect a pay-wall such as the Sunday Times is expected to introduce shortly, as the content itself will still be available, though it won't be obvious what's newspaper content online, and what's non-newspaper content - unless you're subscribing to the e-Paper.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are they going to invest some money in improving the content of an online editioin or is it just really going to be the same content which is in the paper just jazzed about?

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

€89 for the e-paper sounds like good value. I'm not surprised to see this move because I don't know how papers keep the show on the road offering so much free content online. The tricky bit is that I just don't think there exists an ethos amongst punters to pay for content like this. It really is a very tough bind for the newspapers.

I think the missing link is a fast and easy way to make payments over the internet. I'd like to click a single button and have €x taken out of my account to pay for x content right there and then. (Or perhaps for xxx content, but that's a different matter). I'd be very likely to drop €10 here and €20 there with such a system....for example, I see a special offer for 6mths of the IT e-paper for €40...bang, click the button, done. But subscribing individually to the IT and NYT and Sunday Times or whatever mix, meh too much hassle, too expensive, couldn't be arsed. I think that's how it feels to a lot of people.

so their shutting down ireland.com and making it a magazine site, never used ireland.com it seem to be directed towards americans and ancestry stuff

wow so the plan is too make things harder to find, great! i can see the paper losing infliuence

i mean what happens if we do buy the paper and then want to comment on it online and tell people looks here a good story, there going make it hard to find!
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 11th March 2010 at 08:10 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    so their shutting down ireland.com and making it a magazine site, never used ireland.com it seem to be directed towards americans and ancestry stuff

wow so the plan is too make things harder to find, great! i can see the paper losing infliuence
    That my friend...we can only hope!...

I never read The Irish Times till I wanted to be mentioned in it in 1997.

I have no idea how I managed to live without it up to then.

Saturday's edition is a bargain. The News, the Arts and science, and a week's TV.

Finger on the pulse, huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had a look at the e-paper preview last night,it doesn't look anything like the paper layout,not very user friendly ect.It's slowly going the way of the dinosaurs,evidenced by crap articles like this for the chattering classes to drool at.
    outsidein Maybe openness is overrated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I gave up on the Dublin Times when they started charging for content on Ireland.com

Their coverage is too parochial and narrow for my tastes.

There is a whole world beyond the M50.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I gave up on the Dublin Times when they started charging for content on Ireland.com

Their coverage is too parochial and narrow for my tastes.

There is a whole world beyond the M50.
    The predictibility of the site is so reassuring! As soon as I saw your name under last post, I knew it would refer to the "the Dublin Times"!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    In terms of links that was a very stupid mistake as a lot of the historical links to the ireland.com website have been to Irish Times articles. The people looking for the Irish Times links tend to bounce off to the Irishtimes.com site after accidentally hitting ireland.com.

It lost a lot of influence in the last ten years. The problem with the web for a print publication with an online presence is what is known as "cannibalism". The articles from the print publication end up on the site and people then stop buying the newspaper. The first attempt at a subscription model was badly thought out, poorly implemented and very badly times. It naturally failed. This new one seems to have some more thought put into it but the fact that the other content will remain free could indicate that the Irish Times may have learned something from the first attempt.

i mean what happens if we do buy the paper and then want to comment on it online and tell people looks here a good story, there going make it hard to find!
    That's another interesting aspect of publishing online - it is no longer a one way flow of communications.

Regards...jmcc

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast