Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: State to subsidise unfair dismissals

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default State to subsidise unfair dismissals

    According to RTE Six One Aer Lingus is to make 1000 cabin staff redundant with the state picking up 60% of the redundancy cost. AL then proposes to rehire some of them on poorer terms. Clearly these are not legitimate redundancies but a means to dump staff the company doesn't want.

    Spurious redundancies to circumvent normal firing procedures would surely be considered unfair dismissal. The state should not be subsidising such abuse.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie Nugget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    One word sums up everything that has happened at Aer Lingus, Privatisation.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Grumpy Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    According to RTE Six One Aer Lingus is to make 1000 cabin staff redundant with the state picking up 60% of the redundancy cost. AL then proposes to rehire some of them on poorer terms. Clearly these are not legitimate redundancies but a means to dump staff the company doesn't want.

    Spurious redundancies to circumvent normal firing procedures would surely be considered unfair dismissal. The state should not be subsidising such abuse.
    I hope Cowen and Lenihan learn the lesson well. This is the way to deal with the public sector and their unions.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Lovely... ppppppick up de tab

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie Nugget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    I hope Cowen and Lenihan learn the lesson well. This is the way to deal with the public sector and their unions.
    You mean give millions to some corporation and then throw workers onto the dole? On what planet is that good economics?
    Last edited by Nugget; 10th March 2010 at 09:11 PM.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Irish Ferries. mark 2.

    But this time being done by a company in which we have a 25% stake.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uriah View Post
    Irish Ferries. mark 2.
    Aer Lingus strives to become a Scumpany.

  8. #8
    birthday
    Guest

    Default

    Of course money grows on trees , we all know that!
    http://www.politics.ie/transport/125...loss-81-m.html

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    One word sums up everything that has happened at Aer Lingus, Privatisation.
    If it was privatised, how the hell are we paying 60% of the redundancy costs.

    The problem with Aer Lingus is, that it was never properly privatised in the first place.

    With a bit of luck the next time a Govt privatises a state company it does not give a 25% shareholding to the unions.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie Nugget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPB View Post
    If it was privatised, how the hell are we paying 60% of the redundancy costs.

    The problem with Aer Lingus is, that it was never properly privatised in the first place.

    With a bit of luck the next time a Govt privatises a state company it does not give a 25% shareholding to the unions.
    Good question. I always thought the banks were in private control but we seem to be paying for them. It's a feature of capitalism. Profits are always privatised while big losses are nationalised.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •