Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State in 1.5 Million Euro settlement with National Aquatic Centre underbidder

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default State in 1.5 Million Euro settlement with National Aquatic Centre underbidder

The Sunday Business Post --aricle by Pat Leahy on 7 March 2010-claims that the Govt. has approved the payment of in or about 1.5 million to the underbidders who tendered for the building of the National Aquatic Centre.They had taken legal action because they believed that the original tender process was flawed.Iwonder when will the Govt. explain to us the taxpayers why we are being saddled with this payment. The article says that the Dept. of Arts etc confirmed it had reached a settlement but did not comment on the amount.

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought the interesting part of that article was the last paragraph:

Some government sources are worried that the settlement will encourage the unsuccessful bidders for the state’s second mobile phone licence to pursue their case if the forthcoming Moriarty Tribunal report finds that the licensing competition was flawed.
    And I'm sure there are many other unsuccessful bidders for other unrelated projects looking on with interest too. Giving the license to a "shelf company with no assets" indeed...
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Some interesting background on the original story:
    Attorney General Michael McDowell is due to present his findings to the cabinet today into how the €62 million contract to run the Aquatic Centre was awarded, in part, to a dormant off-shore company with assets of just €6.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has already said the functions of chairman and chief executive of CSID would be separated, but said the board would say which should be given up.

Tánaiste Mary Harney is understood to be angry about the murky tender process, particularly the explanation from CSID about why the Government was not told Waterworld UK was dormant and had not traded in the past two years.

This information was given to CSID by consultants PricewaterhouseCooper as early as December 18, 2000, yet Mr Ahern, who brought the contract to Cabinet the following day for approval, insisted he only found out via the media.
    Irish Examiner - 2002/03/20: Waterworld report set to sink Bertie Bowl boss Teahon

The former top civil servant, Paddy Teahon, has lost his job as Chairman and Chief Executive of Campus and Stadium Ireland. He stood down shortly before the release of the Attorney General's report into the awarding of the contract for the National Aquatic Centre to a dormant company, Waterworld UK.

Mr Teahon, who had known the company was dormant but told neither the Board of Campus and Stadium Ireland or the Government, said he was standing down in the interests of the project, but that he would remain a member of the Board.

The report concludes that the critical decision to award the contract was allowed to proceed at a time when information in the possession of some of those carrying out the executive functions, a reference to Mr Teahon, was not disclosed to those making the
    RTÉ News: Teahon loses job as head of Campus Ireland
    Teahon Consulting, the advisory firm run by former civil servant Paddy Teahon, was paid €180,000 by property firm Treasury Holdings last year.

Teahon is a non-executive director of Treasury, which is headed by Johnny Ronan and Richard Barrett. The group has major projects in Ireland, Britain and China, and has a property portfolio valued at more than €4.8 billion.

New accounts for Teahon Consulting show the firm had an accumulated profit of €61,835 at the end of April last, down from €174,851 a year earlier. The firm’s income and profit for the year are not disclosed in the abridged accounts.

The shareholders in Teahon Consulting are Paddy and Mary Teahon.

Paddy Teahon advanced more than €160,000 to Teahon Consulting during the year, and €157,415 was repaid. Mary Teahon advanced €19,234 to the company, of which €17,900 was repaid. A career civil servant, Paddy Teahon was secretary general of the Department of the Taoiseach from 1993 to 2000. He is now a consultant to a number of companies, the chairman of Eco Wind Power, and president of the Irish Wind Energy Association.
    Treasury Holdings paid Teahon firm €180k in 2007: ThePost.ie

Loads of familiar names there!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wonder does Clowen have a special drawer in his office marked 'BURY' where he puts all the reports, settlements and papers that have to be buried and hidden from public view because they expose FF corruption?

FF = traitors.

And more on Dublin Waterworld:
    The High Court has found that the company appointed to operate the National Aquatic Centre, Dublin Waterworld Ltd, has deliberately breached its lease.

The court has granted an order for possession of the building to Campus and Stadium Ireland Development Ltd, the State company which owns the centre.

It found that Dublin Waterworld Ltd, which was granted the lease for the centre in April 2003, had breached that lease by consciously and wilfully failing to pay rent and failing to produce audited accounts.
    The court also found that DWL had breached the terms of its agreement with CSID by holding the lease in trust for a Limerick businessman, Pat Mulcair.
    Labour's Joan Burton has claimed that Sports Minister John O'Donoghue has serious questions to answer about how the Government structured the original deal.

In particular, she insisted that the minister must clarify how Dublin Waterworld Ltd was allowed a lease and trust arrangement with a third party, businessman Pat Mulcair.

Deputy Burton claimed that valuable tax benefits might have been conveyed on the parties involved as a result.
    RTÉ News: Court says DWL breached aquatic centre lease

It looks like Pat Mulcair operates from Jersey these days:
    PAT Mulcair's Roadbridge, the construction company responsible for over €1bn worth of public private partnership and state-backed road projects, has transferred its ownership to the tax haven of Jersey, the Sunday Independent has learned.

The company, which receives millions of euro in rent from the taxpayer under more than €1bn worth of public private partnership (PPP) deals, shifted all of its shares to Roadbridge (Jersey), based in St Helier on the offshore enclave. The shares were transferred in September 2008, after Roadbridge had won a number of major state PPP deals.
    Roadbridge founder PatMulcair has hit the headlines in recent years. Four years ago it emerged that he was the beneficial owner of Dublin Waterworld's lease at the National Aquatic Centre in Blanchardstown. A high court case indicated that this deal was worth €34m to Mr Mulcair in tax allowances.

Late last year, London-based financial spread betting firm City Index launched a €1.8m suit against the Limerick businessman, claiming that he had not repaid money that had been accidentally lodged in his account.
    Offshore firm to 'own' State road contracts - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    Giving the license to a "shelf company with no assets" indeed...
    Well if I were a suspicious sort of chap I'd almost suspect that the company probably had one absolutely invaluable - if intangible - asset, namely some roundabout link to some political party or other.

Luckily for me, though, I'd rather think the best of my fellow men and women.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    Well if I were a suspicious sort of chap I'd almost suspect that the company probably had one absolutely invaluable - if intangible - asset, namely some roundabout link to some political party or other.

I'm a very suspicious sort of chap. :mrgreen:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markeys View Post
    I'm a very suspicious sort of chap. :mrgreen:
    I'd noticed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Some interesting background on the original story:
    Thanks for those links PaddyJoe. What a great wee country we live in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post

An honourable trait. Means less visits to confession for impure thoughts too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast