Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Animal rights activist calls for bear cub to be put to sleep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Animal rights activist calls for bear cub to be put to sleep

From Sky News:
    • An animal rights activist has been condemned for suggesting that an abandoned polar bear cub should be killed instead of being raised by humans.

Knut was born in Berlin Zoo last December but his mother ignored him and his brother, who later died.

Activist Frank Albrecht was quoted in the Bild newspaper, which has run photo spreads of the little bear, as saying: "Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws.

"The zoo must kill the bear."

The comments were quickly condemned by the zoo, politicians and other animal rights groups.

"The killing of an animal has nothing to do with animal protection," said Wolfgang Apel, head of the German Federation for the Protection of Animals.

Mr Albrecht has claimed he was quoted out of context.

He explained that although he thought it was wrong of the zoo to have saved the cub's life, now that the bear can live on his own, it would be equally wrong to kill him.

"If a polar bear mother rejected the baby, then I believe the zoo must follow the instincts of nature," Mr Albrecht said.

"In the wild, it would have been left to die."

This seems to have made news around the world, with more coverage here and here. How do my fellow P.iesters feel about this? Polar bear unfree shall never be at peace? Or is it better to give this bear cub a second chance? Is the zoo exploiting the bear?
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can he be eaten ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    Can he be eaten ?
    Idiot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can he be eaten ?
    Only Eskimos can eat Polar Bears because its part of their cultural heritage.

They should donate the little fellow to the poor starving eskimos now that they are in short supply - in fact things are so bad up there the Kimos could be taking to their Kayaks anyday now and paddling south looking for refuge...

They could be Ireland's very first enviromental refugees!

Hand the little bugger over quick!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engels
    Can he be eaten ?
    Idiot!
    What? Why cant we? Because he's cute and cuddly? I dont think he'd taste good mind, being a carnivore (or are polar bear omnivores?) but why a cow and not a bear?

Lamb are cute, but it wouldnt make me turn down some nice chops......

Anyway, although I understand the desire to see it put down, in a world where they are becoming rare, I dont think we should kill it.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The bundle of fur with the silly name

Quote Originally Posted by Aachen Zoo's director
    "It is not correct to bottle-feed a small polar bear. He will always be fixated on his keeper and will never grow to be a proper polar bear," he said. "One should have had the courage to kill him much earlier."
    Yeah, because if we kill him he'll get to "grow to be a proper polar bear"

Animal rights activists say domesticating the bear is cruel, unnatural and will prevent him forming relationships with other bears in the future.
    As opposed to the great, long-lasting relationships he'll form with other bears if he's dead?? Maybe they mean in the great bear party in the sky...

He's seriously cute in in this video (just click on the photo in the link)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im sorry but every time i see his name i pray some dyslexics are surfing the net

have to admit when i see animals my first thought usually is "wonder what that tastes like" too. though its a barmey argument from the animal rights activist. if the whole global warming thing is on the level the only place left to see polar bears will be zoo's cause the north poles gone ! hell i think the poor feckers have a hard time now getting from A to B because of the late/ non existant freezing of ice.

that said i'd like to see someone try messing with it when its fully grown. cute they may be but they can take your head off in a second !
    “The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest members.” Vote NO on May 25th. 2016 : Anybody but FF/FG/LAB !

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus
    if the whole global warming thing is on the level the only place left to see polar bears will be zoo's cause the north poles gone !
    we can just spray paint regular bears white when that happens.

It'll make 'em easier to spot in the wild too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badinage

The bundle of fur with the silly name

Quote Originally Posted by Aachen Zoo's director
    "It is not correct to bottle-feed a small polar bear. He will always be fixated on his keeper and will never grow to be a proper polar bear," he said. "One should have had the courage to kill him much earlier."
    Yeah, because if we kill him he'll get to "grow to be a proper polar bear"

Animal rights activists say domesticating the bear is cruel, unnatural and will prevent him forming relationships with other bears in the future.
    As opposed to the great, long-lasting relationships he'll form with other bears if he's dead?? Maybe they mean in the great bear party in the sky...

He's seriously cute in in this video (just click on the photo in the link)
    As far as I am aware, no matter how cruel they may say it to be, if it could speak , I am sure little knut would say 'please dont kill me.....' possibly voiced by the delightful Emo Phillips or some other comedic figure.

Someone should just tell that Albrecht twatface to shut up - its a cuddly little bear, the mean git......
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badinage
    Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus
    if the whole global warming thing is on the level the only place left to see polar bears will be zoo's cause the north poles gone !
    we can just spray paint regular bears white when that happens.

It'll make 'em easier to spot in the wild too!

Dont give FF any ideas now that they have got all down with the environment and stuff!

What a cute bear, seriously what evil monster would want to put it down........any polar bears I ve every seen on TV have always been covered in blood from savaging a seal or penguin whatever ....would we really want that to happen this little mite!
    An eye for an eye makes us all blind
    Mohandas Gandhi

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast