Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reglious Right attempting to stop Civil Partnership Bill here!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Reglious Right attempting to stop Civil Partnership Bill here!!

Petition on same-sex unions

THE CATHOLIC League and Priests For Life Ireland groups have launched a petition opposing the Civil Partnership Bill.

Launched in the last issue of the Catholic Voice newspaper (Catholic Voice - Website coming soon) it already has more than 2,000 signatures. The group said it would present them to Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern.

The Catholic League has already sent a letter to every TD and Senator expressing reservations about the Bill.

Anthony Murphy, founder of the Catholic League and publisher of the Catholic Voice , said in a statement: “It is clear that many people are puzzled and upset at the proposed legislation which can only undermine the institution of marriage by creating a kind of pseudo-marriage for same sex couples. This is deeply immoral and a crime against the natural law. It is the duty of every Catholic to oppose it”.
    Sylvester Mann, founder of Priests for Life Ireland, is writing to every Catholic priest in Ireland asking for their support in opposing the Bill. His letter will also contain a copy of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith’s document concerning legal recognition of same-sex unions.

Fr Sylvester said: “The concluding words of the Code of Canon Law remind us that the ‘care of souls is the supreme law of the Church’. To that end priests must preach the Gospel without compromise and lead others, including politicians, to live in the holiness of the Truth and to promote a Culture of Life. We must not be afraid to STOP (his emphasis) an immoral Bill from being bullied into law!”
    (See her for full story: Irish Times, March 6th - Petition on same-sex unions

My Comments:
    1) The religious should mind there own business, when it comes to civil law

2) This claim that civil unions will undermine the institution of marriage can somebody please explain this as i don't know how a same sex couple having a civil union which will be recognised by the state will affect the institution of marriage

3) Again this is Civil Partnership, a 2nd class form of marriage, it doesn't even go as far as civil marriage as you don't get all the right of civil marriage!!!

4) As for "an immoral Bill" they have a cheek calling anything immoral after the way the church has behaved over the last number of years,

5) As for "bullied into law" How, just like any other groups gay people, and groups can lobby their government, the government agreed to these laws and are bringing them in, it is also a civil rights issue so how is it being bullied in???

Much as the religious right may dislike it gay people have right too!!!
    Last edited by USER1234; 7th March 2010 at 08:06 PM.

The_Big_Fellow

That's free speech for ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Big_Fellow View Post
    That's free speech for ya.
    I don't agree that attempting to squash another groups civil right is free speech, more like hate speech!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USER1234 View Post
    (See her for full story: Irish Times, March 6th - Petition on same-sex unions

My Comment:
    1) The religious should mind there own business, when it comes to civil law

2) This claim that civil unions will undermine the institution of marriage can somebody please explain this as i don't know how a same sex couple having a civil union which will be recognised by the state will affect the institution of marriage

3) Again this is Civil Partnership, a 2nd class form of marriage, it doesn't even go as far as civil marriage as you don't get all the right of civil marriage!!!

4) As for "an immoral Bill" they have a cheek calling anything immoral after the way the church has behaved over the last number of years,

5) As for "bullied into law" How, just like any other groups gay people, and groups can lobby their government, the government agreed to these laws and are bring them in,it is also a civil rights issue so how is it being bullied in???

Much as the religious right may dislike it gay people have right too!!!
    So you would silence all people who disagree with you, how tolerant, says more about you than the 'religious right' (whoever they are).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liamfoley View Post
    So you would silence all people who disagree with you, how tolerant, says more about you than the 'religious right' (whoever they are).
    +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you would silence all people who disagree with you, how tolerant,
    I have no problem with people who disagree with me but i have no time for people who are actively trying to squash another groups civil rights!!!

says more about you than the 'religious right' (whoever they are).
    If you took the time to read what i posted you know the religious right i mentioned was The Catholic League (not the Americans group) and Priests For Life Ireland
    Last edited by USER1234; 7th March 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see the OP attempting to silence the church. He is simply disagreeing with them.
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evercloserunion View Post
    I don't see the OP attempting to silence the church. He is simply disagreeing with them.
    Thanks

Plus i think a majority of Irish people think it good that the Civil Partnership Bill becoming law and that the current bill does not go far enough!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For some contrast:-

Statement from the Evangelical Alliance of Ireland...

We suggest that evangelical Christians should support the basic thrust of the Bill. The Government is seeking to legislate for greater justice and fairness for co-habiting couples, both same-sex and opposite-sex couples. As Christians we should support that stance. Co-habiting couples are a reality - this legislation seeks to deal with that reality from a legal perspective.
    The Christians Scriptures make it clear that God's purpose for his gift of sex is that it would be the ultimate physical expression of love between a man and a woman in the context of the covenant of marriage. However, the Gospel requires of us that we show grace to those who fundamentally disagree with our convictions and who do not shape their lives according to what we believe is good for them. Jesus requires of his followers that they love and do good to those who oppose them or who hold to different ethical standards than they do.
    Evangelical Christians have no automatic right to have their views preferred to those of others. Nor do we have a duty to try and impose Biblical morality on public life by force of law.
    It is possible to both articulate and live Christian values in a way that contributes to the debate on the lost point of moral reference in public life. In doing this we can and should support the notion of a public square in which all voices are free to present their case and argue for it in public life, including religious voices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks johnfás!!!

Its nice to see that there are religious groups out there who know as they put it "have no automatic right to have their views preferred to those of others. Nor do we have a duty to try and impose Biblical morality on public life by force of law."

And have common sense when it comes to the roles of religion in public life

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast