Petition on same-sex unions
THE CATHOLIC League and Priests For Life Ireland groups have launched a petition opposing the Civil Partnership Bill.
Launched in the last issue of the Catholic Voice newspaper (Catholic Voice - Website coming soon) it already has more than 2,000 signatures. The group said it would present them to Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern.
The Catholic League has already sent a letter to every TD and Senator expressing reservations about the Bill.
Anthony Murphy, founder of the Catholic League and publisher of the Catholic Voice , said in a statement: “It is clear that many people are puzzled and upset at the proposed legislation which can only undermine the institution of marriage by creating a kind of pseudo-marriage for same sex couples. This is deeply immoral and a crime against the natural law. It is the duty of every Catholic to oppose it”.(See her for full story: Irish Times, March 6th - Petition on same-sex unionsSylvester Mann, founder of Priests for Life Ireland, is writing to every Catholic priest in Ireland asking for their support in opposing the Bill. His letter will also contain a copy of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith’s document concerning legal recognition of same-sex unions.
Fr Sylvester said: “The concluding words of the Code of Canon Law remind us that the ‘care of souls is the supreme law of the Church’. To that end priests must preach the Gospel without compromise and lead others, including politicians, to live in the holiness of the Truth and to promote a Culture of Life. We must not be afraid to STOP (his emphasis) an immoral Bill from being bullied into law!”
1) The religious should mind there own business, when it comes to civil law
2) This claim that civil unions will undermine the institution of marriage can somebody please explain this as i don't know how a same sex couple having a civil union which will be recognised by the state will affect the institution of marriage
3) Again this is Civil Partnership, a 2nd class form of marriage, it doesn't even go as far as civil marriage as you don't get all the right of civil marriage!!!
4) As for "an immoral Bill" they have a cheek calling anything immoral after the way the church has behaved over the last number of years,
5) As for "bullied into law" How, just like any other groups gay people, and groups can lobby their government, the government agreed to these laws and are bringing them in, it is also a civil rights issue so how is it being bullied in???
Much as the religious right may dislike it gay people have right too!!!