Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: St Patrick's Day trips abroad for 23 officials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default St Patrick's Day trips abroad for 23 officials

This time of year again!

“St Patrick’s Day is a day of national celebration for Irish people and for our diaspora all round the world. It gives Ireland a unique global platform and an opportunity to reflect on all that is best in our country.”
    Doesn't need these junkets to show what's best in the country.

“The road to economic recovery and new jobs for our people is through innovating at home and growing our exports abroad. We can and will create the new jobs of the future through international trade, investment, tourism and the smart economy.”
    WE are saved. More fukkin jobs. This must be a masterpiece. When all is over we might get to see the bill for this school outing!

our politicians are "all that is best in our country"?
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    our politicians are "all that is best in our country"?
    I think that should be "Our ministers are the best of our politicians in this country"!

Bon voyage lads, you are doing us proud!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Harney is off to New Zealand. Still not far enough.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think these visits do any harm and the diaspora seem to like them. Apart from the cost, and in the grand scheme of things it's not that bad, what's to object to?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    I don't think these visits do any harm and the diaspora seem to like them. Apart from the cost, and in the grand scheme of things it's not that bad, what's to object to?
    I'd agree, if they were given one-way tickets, first class is fine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The shower of greedy wasters should under no circumstances be allowed outside the country. They will lie and con us into believing stories of trade missions, investment seeking and reaching out to the diaspora. They are costly junkets and nothing else but that. These greedy f**kers are just having a laugh at our expense.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bet Obama is really looking forward to Cowen grunting at him from behind a bowl of shamrock.

"Going forward Barrack, ugh ugh smart economy, ah knowledge economy uh uh. Where's the beer? Let's have a sing-song!"
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok while i can buy the ministers going on the grounds of drumming up business, the sheer number of em is taking the piss.

not to mention the nonsensical places some of them seem to be going to.

but can someone explain to me why the ******************** the atorney general going too ?

he's heading to dubai ! (well the UAE anyway)

setting up a central hub to bail drunk ministers out of local pokeys prehaps?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus View Post
    ok while i can buy the ministers going on the grounds of drumming up business, the sheer number of em is taking the piss.

not to mention the nonsensical places some of them seem to be going to.

but can someone explain to me why the ******************** the atorney general going too ?

he's heading to dubai ! (well the UAE anyway)

setting up a central hub to bail drunk ministers out of local pokeys prehaps?
    Dubai is still an international hub for investment despite their recent problems, and we have an ever increasing amount of students from the UAE coming over here to private schools. There are still extremly rich people over there looking to invest abroad. It makes sense to go there, as it does New Zealand/Australia due to the increasing Irish presence there. Less so the trip to Vietnam one of them is taking.

I think Cowen's said he's going to publish the reasons for the individual trips which is a good step.

In general it's a good thing, there aren't that many islands of 4 million whose elected representatives have a guaranteed day of face time with world leaders. Taoiseach (and if they go in his stead, the Tanaiste) should be in first class, everyone else, stick em in business though.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast