Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Take Back the old Irish Houses of Parliament?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Take Back the old Irish Houses of Parliament?

As BOI is completely indebted to the state with our recent intervention, should the state force the return of the Irish Houses of Parliament into national ownership... Would make a fine Museum me thinks!

As we probably will end up nationalising the bank I think the future of this building should most definately be an open and public one..
    The one thing I know is I can't know anything else...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon.D View Post
    As BOI is completely indebted to the state with our recent intervention, should the state force the return of the Irish Houses of Parliament into national ownership... Would make a fine Museum me thinks!

As we probably will end up nationalising the bank I think the future of this building should most definately be an open and public one..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Send it in to Your Country Your Call!

I too think it is a great idea. It should be gifted to the nation by BofI as a gesture of gratitude for the nation's munificence and patience towards them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisco View Post
    Send it in to Your Country Your Call!

I too think it is a great idea. It should be gifted to the nation by BofI as a gesture of gratitude for the nation's munificence and patience towards them.
    Well, give them an equivalent building somewhere not too bad. And I mean equivalent in terms of usage not in terms of value. It's not as if the Bank could ever realise the full value of the property / location anyway so the suggestion could actually have real merit. Minority shareholders might be upset though I think objections could be satisfied.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was thinking more along the lines of confiscation, if for nothing else, a symbolic gesture on the part of the state to redress the catastrophe these guys have unleashed on us with their lending practices. As for minority shareholder objections, that may not be a problem for too much longer, todays' action notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
    Well, give them an equivalent building somewhere not too bad. And I mean equivalent in terms of usage not in terms of value. It's not as if the Bank could ever realise the full value of the property / location anyway so the suggestion could actually have real merit. Minority shareholders might be upset though I think objections could be satisfied.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How could such august persons as the "Governor and Court of Directors" slum it in a glass box office building - one has standards!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    one has standards!
    Not when it comes to assessing credit-worthiness or other banking related activities. Well, not high ones anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default They are way ahead of you.

The BOI have been planning on vacating the Old Houses of Commons and Lords for years. Plans are actually at an advanced stage, albeit not as advanced as An Post's plans to vacate the GPO. In both cases the question is who will take their place. The Abbey has been touted as being a new tenant for the GPO but a museum has also been mentioned. It seems unlikely that you would have two new museums so close to one another, the National Museum, Kildare St. is only a few mins. away from BOI and of course they are all only a short ride from Collins Barracks. Considering the National Gallery, the Hugh Lane (owned by the city rather than the state), the (currently closed) Natural History Museum and National Library are so close it may be a case of too many cultural institutions too close to one another and sharing two few items of interest. If they are all free entry they must be funded somehow and I do not think the exchequer will be capable of it. And this is from someone who works in the sector (albeit in none of the above institutions).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markjbloggs View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of confiscation, if for nothing else, a symbolic gesture on the part of the state to redress the catastrophe these guys have unleashed on us with their lending practices. As for minority shareholder objections, that may not be a problem for too much longer, todays' action notwithstanding.
    Pity about the article in the constitution forbidding that ..., no on second thoughts not a pity at all.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont think there will be an issue coming up for a use with such a building.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast