Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: homelessness

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default homelessness

I was reading in the paper about a homeless person begging, who was a post -graduate; police tried to criminalise him by prosecuting him for holding a plastic cup out to the people passing by. He brought his case to the high court and won! There's nothing better than a homeless, educated person who has the resolution to fight the system and win. I would definitely put a few bob in his cup, for he richly deserves it, don you think?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: homelessness

Quote Originally Posted by dedalus
    I was reading in the paper about a homeless person begging, who was a post -graduate; police tried to criminalise him by prosecuting him for holding a plastic cup out to the people passing by. He brought his case to the high court and won! There's nothing better than a homeless, educated person who has the resolution to fight the system and win. I would definitely put a few bob in his cup, for he richly deserves it, don you think?
    No why is a post graduate begging? That is outrageous he has no reason to be homeless why should other people support his choice to be destitute?
    Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jelly fish ~ Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by jady88
    No why is a post graduate begging? That is outrageous he has no reason to be homeless why should other people support his choice to be destitute?
    I know nothing about this guy but it is possible that he was mentally ill, as are a high proportion of people living on the streets of our cities. While poverty from lack of employment opportunities has largely gone from Ireland, for people who have mental health problems, even temporarily, the services are so poor that they can lose their jobs, their housing and all connection with society. Frequently these are the people who get left in the trap of homelessness and begging.

The legal point - that any person has the right to approach another - was correct, and I am delighted that our judges have for once stuck up for what is right, even when it's not convenient. It is vital for democracy that judges faced with a choice between what is right and what is popular (with the government or society) choose what is right. I only wish they had the courage of some of the judges standing up to Mugabe.

I actually don't agree with begging, or giving to beggars, and I would support long prison sentences for inciting children to beg, or for aggressive or abusive behaviour while begging. But if chuggers or market-research people can walk up to me every thirty seconds on Grafton Street, then it is clearly unconstitutional to ban someone from doing it just because they are a bit smelly.
    Here's How, Ireland's political, social and current affairs podcast; Call the show on 076 603 5060 to record your contribution for the next show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah he would deserve it for taking you for a ride! :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh BTW are the Roma who beg on our streets mentally ill? Homeless? Drunk? On Drugs?

Answer to all of the above is NO THEY ARE NOT! :x

This decision to accept that stopping someone begging interferes with their Constitutional rights is absolutely Daft and shows how out of touch the so called 'Civil liberties' crowd are with the common citizen.

TBH I think they should cop themselves on...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There but for the grace of God go I
    Romanticist 75%, Fundamentalist 69%, Idealist 63%, Cultural Creative 63%, Postmodernist 56%, Modernist 44%, Existentialist 44%, Materialist 19%

Pro Deo, Rege et Patria, Hibernia Unanimis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beardyboy
    What like ya nearly ended up a Roma? :P

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Or a racist?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibis
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Or a racist?
    Twice in one day!

So now its 'Racist' to oppose the idea of people arriving here from abroad and having the freedom to roam the streets begging?

I think anyone who supports such a policy (like you appear to) would be a Racist.

So are you?

BTW I am against the legalisation of begging by anyone - not just members of the Roma People.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would only help out beggars who are physically disabled or elderly, or if I was in a country with no social welfare.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast