Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanafin snubs two councillors

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Hanafin snubs two councillors

Photo carried in todays Dungarvan Observer of Minister Mary Hanafin refusing to shake hands with Sinn Fein councillor Brendan Mansfield. Mansfield and fellow Sinn Fein councillor for Waterford County Council Pat Fitzgerald led a handful in a token protest during the Ministers visit to open the citizens information centre.Sinn Fein signaled their intention to protest prior to the visit with the centre and it was agreed that not to detract from the purpose of the visit that only a handful would partake.
    The Sinn Fein councillors wished to discuss with the minister a number of issues regarding the West Waterford town, namely how the government plan to tackle the unemployment issue of the town, currently almost 2500 on the live register,what the government plan to do with the derelict site in the centre of the town earmarked for the decentralisation of OSI.
    Armed with placards REMEMBER LISBON, SO WHERES THE JOBS FIANNA FAIL,Mansfield also wished to raise with the minister the recent closure of the towns Resource Centre. A centre much needed given the unemployment ploblems of West Waterford.When asked to comment on its closure by a journalist, Hanafin contended she didnt know the specifics of its closure and couldnt comment.
    Is it right for a councillor wishing to raise such important issue's with a minister on behalf of the people of Dungarvan to be treated in such a manner?
    Last edited by pjoz; 4th March 2010 at 01:01 AM.
    The Labour Party is a "betrayal to it's principles and objectives"(Pat Rabbitte)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a new phenomenon known as Wayne Bridge syndrome.

no, when ministers visit this places for photo op they should include listening to the local councillors, locals rep on relevant issue to that minister.

but does it, i presume not.
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 3rd March 2010 at 11:34 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't blame her, you can't go meeting someone with placards and protests and expect handshakes. Also, I love the way the Shinners have become so thin skinned all of sudden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are either of them convicted terrorists ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post

cYp
    If they aren't, they should hope not to make to the Dáil, they'll feel out of place with half their party colleagues.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungLiberal View Post
    Don't blame her, you can't go meeting someone with placards and protests and expect handshakes. Also, I love the way the Shinners have become so thin skinned all of sudden.
    I should have stated for the benefit of people like your good self who would try to defend this behaviour that Mansfield was not holding a placard and was standing detacted and opposite the SF protest. Mansfield stated in the interview "we were very cautious in our approach,which is why we didnt have a large crowd of protesters.We didnt want to intimidate the minister and we dont want to intimidate the public who are passing" , he further stated, Minister Hanafin "is more than welcome to come to Dungarvan with good news stories, the more the merrier, but dont think you are going to come in and not address the problems that are here either"
    It appears a very dignified protest by public representatives who wished to highlight and discuss matters of importance to the area with the Minister.
    For me it is deplorable that she should snub two councillors in this manner and I would state that regardless of the party involved
    The Labour Party is a "betrayal to it's principles and objectives"(Pat Rabbitte)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjoz View Post
    I should have stated for the benefit of people like your good self who would try to defend this behaviour that Mansfield was not holding a placard and was standing detacted and opposite the SF protest. Mansfield stated in the interview "we were very cautious in our approach,which is why we didnt have a large crowd of protesters.We didnt want to intimidate the minister and we dont want to intimidate the public who are passing" , he further stated, Minister Hanafin "is more than welcome to come to Dungarvan with good news stories, the more the merrier, but dont think you are going to come in and not address the problems that are here either"
    It appears a very dignified protest by public representatives who wished to highlight and discuss matters of importance to the area with the Minister.
    For me it is deplorable that she should snub two councillors in this manner and I would state that regardless of the party involved
    PSF don't tend to do dignified anything, in my experience of them, especially ÓSF. So, excuse me if my heart doesn't exactly bleed. The only shower worse are YD/PBB.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post

cYp
    The Shinners are great at protesting against common sense and sound economic policies, and also at representing those who have no intention of ever contributing anything to society.

The Minister should have reminded the Cllrs that their Dail leader has a conviction for welfare fraud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You treat people as they treat you. If she was met by protesters roaring and shouting at her can you really expect her to treat them as rational people?

SF has representatives in the Dail who could raise the questions in the proper format.
    I respect SF as a democratically elected party and wish some of their representatives would act in a democratic manor.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast