Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mansfield of Arabia hits a speed bump on the road to Citywest Institute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mansfield of Arabia hits a speed bump on the road to Citywest Institute

More cultural misunderstandings between East and West.

The MidEast news agency MENA quotes the Examiner and Indo on 'one of Ireland's most unorthodox property tycoon' Mansfield's claim to have a contract with the Kingdom's education ministry under which 750 Saudi students would attend its new Citywest Institute.

Dublin school claims accommodating 750 Saudi students

Something must have been lost in translation between Tallaght and Riyadh.

...but in a statement on the ministry of higher education’s website, ministry deputy for scholarship affairs Dr Abdullah Al Mosa said the Citywest institute was “not recommended by the ministry and never was contracted”.

Dr Al Mosa said: “The claim that 750 students are going to study English at Mansfield Group’s Citywest institute is far from real.”
    Saudis deny contract for students in Citywest - The Irish Times - Sat, Feb 27, 2010

Mindful of the hazards of being misquoted in two languages perhaps, no comment was made by the Group when MENA and the Irish Times asked for a view on the Saudi statement.
    Last edited by He3; 27th February 2010 at 04:20 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A scrap metal dealer might not be able to differentiate between a religious minister and a political minister, but he is good at making money
    Regards, Pat Gill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This proposal for new jobs... conveniently dove tailed with:
    The Mansfield group is seeking planning permission which would see the centre converted into a 66-classroom college.

It has applied to South Dublin County Council for permission for change of use. A decision on the application is due on March 25th.
    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Saudi English language daily "Arab News" had a piece about this a few days ago:

Dublin school claims accommodating 750 Saudi students - Arab News

Rather an odd state of affairs. It's hard to imagine that Mansfied would just invent the story out of thin air. Equally though, it's hard to see why the Saudi ministry would deny any involvement - if indeed they were involved.

My guess is that some kind of negotiations were underway but that Citywest was only one of many bidders - as far as I can tell, the Saudis dont' deny negotiating with Mansfield. The deal probably fell through at some point - perhaps due to a failure to bribe the appropriate prince? - but for some reason, Mansfield seems to have been unaware of it and embarrassed all concerned with that bizarre public announcement last week. Always thought it sounded a bit odd though - they claimed a few hundred students were due to arrive in April, barely a month away, and yet they don't appear to have hired any staff or transformed the empty shopping centre into a college!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Off with his head!

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the Saudis would be very concerned about the massive drugs problem in Dublin. It's chronic in certain parts. It's such a shame that more can't be done to stop the utter scumbags enriching themselves through this deadly trade. It leads to situations like this where honest businessmen like Jim Mansfield have trouble persuading people abroad that their youngsters would be safe in our country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    I think the Saudis would be very concerned about the massive drugs problem in Dublin. It's chronic in certain parts. It's such a shame that more can't be done to stop the utter scumbags enriching themselves through this deadly trade. It leads to situations like this where honest businessmen like Jim Mansfield have trouble persuading people abroad that their youngsters would be safe in our country.
    You're talking about Nutmeg?

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    You're talking about Nutmeg?
    If that's what the kids call it nowadays....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the Saudis would be very concerned about the massive drugs problem in Dublin
    Saudi students have been studying in the US in large numbers for decades, so I don't think Dublin would be too shocking for them. My guess is that the deal (if there even was one) fell through for more mercenary reasons - perhaps Mansfield's failure to 'sweeten the deal' enough, so to speak. It will be interesting to see if a similar college for Saudi students opens up in, say the UK some time in the near future. The Brits have a long and not so noble history of doing business with the Saudis, and know how to make such deals profitable for all concerned!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post

Shame indeed.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast