Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 117

Thread: What is wrong with the Irish mindset?

  1. #1
    Ex Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Around the Corner everyone has turned
    Posts
    3,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default What is wrong with the Irish mindset?

    I am trying to understand the Irish mindset after further announcement today of job losses and Nama approval.

    If things werent bad enough the EU today just gave permission for the Irish government to land further debt on every man woman and child living in Ireland. At the same time we learn of further companies entering administration and Post Bank pulling out of Ireland.

    Add all this to the continued poor economic data and outlook for this country and rolling strikes next week by the public service one wonders why the Irish people continue to put up with the Shinanigans of the Irish government.

    Every Irish citizen from middle income to welfare dependent have been hit hard by the policies of this government, and yet the very highest paid people of this country continue to enjoy the good times.

    Why are Irish people putting up with this? Why havent the public striked or called demonstrations? Why havent the people on welfare come togeather and created a pressure group? So many why`s and yet the people continue to suffer and the government just appeat to get away with it.

    Its very ironic that a person who is in court for debts that cannot be paid because of the economic situation in Ireland will ultimately have their case decided by a judge who continues to earn over 100,000 per year!

    What is so wrong with Irish people that we continue to put up with this and yet we see demonstrations against head shops and in some cases extreme acts of violence taken against them! I wonder about peoples priorites.

    How much further damage will FF be allowed to do before people start to stop them?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    Every Irish citizen from middle income to welfare dependent have been hit hard by the policies of this government, and yet the very highest paid people of this country continue to enjoy the good times.

    Why are Irish people putting up with this?
    I'll just put forward my thought, and faithfully promise to withdraw as I'm really interested in what others say.

    My feeling is that there is no coherent social group around which opposition could organise. Pretty much every significant force is co-opted into the power structure. Change has no obvious leader, and would require every power group to be unseated.

    Unions, professionals, politicians, business. Put simply, the leadership in all those sectors is exposed to some extent to property-backed debt. Why would they oppose a government that is doing everything it can to protect them from ruin?
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

    George Lee 2 June 2006

    Ziggy

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The broad sense I get from the OP is why are bums not disconnecting from sofas to mount mass demonstrations?

    Utter apathy?
    'Climate-Gate' Scandal Should Be Wake-Up Call For Press, Politicians http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...aspx?id=513542

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    I am trying to understand the Irish mindset after further announcement today of job losses and Nama approval.

    If things werent bad enough the EU today just gave permission for the Irish government to land further debt on every man woman and child living in Ireland. At the same time we learn of further companies entering administration and Post Bank pulling out of Ireland.

    Add all this to the continued poor economic data and outlook for this country and rolling strikes next week by the public service one wonders why the Irish people continue to put up with the Shinanigans of the Irish government.

    Every Irish citizen from middle income to welfare dependent have been hit hard by the policies of this government, and yet the very highest paid people of this country continue to enjoy the good times.

    Why are Irish people putting up with this? Why havent the public striked or called demonstrations? Why havent the people on welfare come togeather and created a pressure group? So many why`s and yet the people continue to suffer and the government just appeat to get away with it.

    Its very ironic that a person who is in court for debts that cannot be paid because of the economic situation in Ireland will ultimately have their case decided by a judge who continues to earn over 100,000 per year!

    What is so wrong with Irish people that we continue to put up with this and yet we see demonstrations against head shops and in some cases extreme acts of violence taken against them! I wonder about peoples priorites.

    How much further damage will FF be allowed to do before people start to stop them?
    People need an organisation to fall in behind. At the moment we have no party or organisation of protest.

    Our Union leaders are only interested in getting back on board the gravy train of social partnership. Our political parties are stuffed full of eejits that think they are some kind of Royalty because their Grandaddy was in the GPO or Bolands Mills. Daftness being hereditry and all that.

    The people of this country are not as sedate as you might think or feel, they just need something or someone worth following.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie John Mitchel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    George Dillon's PC
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is a prescient posting. I believe the reason that Irish people have swallowed every poison administered to them over the past couple of years is because there is no longer a sense of community. There is no social solidarity. Capitalism and globalization have created an economy--and a bad one--but not a society. This was one of the reasons why the capitalists and their friends imported perhaps a million foreigners into our country--to make us stop thinking of ourselves as one people. If you walk down an Irish street now, you no longer think "This is my place" or "These are my people".

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    590
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    One problem is that we dont have a media that supports us.

    On six one news today for example, NAMA was described as a big step in restoring confidence in the economy.

    But for who? The international markets, not the people of this country.

    Google "Noam Chomsky" and "the propaganda model" for what im talking about.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A deeply colonised mindset.

  8. #8
    Gimpanzee
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mitchel View Post
    This was one of the reasons why the capitalists and their friends imported perhaps a million foreigners into our country--to make us stop thinking of ourselves as one people.
    Yes, those capitalists are notorious for wanting to do that sort of thing.

  9. #9
    Gimpanzee
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    A deeply colonised mindset.
    Christ... more unthinking regurgitated gibberish. Better give this place a wide berth until Monday morning. And the looney corpse worshippers will be in in a while to salivate over blowing up stuff after the pub too....

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie John Mitchel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    George Dillon's PC
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    Yes, those capitalists are notorious for wanting to do that sort of thing.
    Quite right. They have a complaisant government and a demoralized people. They can get away with anything--even NAMA.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •