Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noel Whelan running for Fianna Fail in 1997

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Noel Whelan running for Fianna Fail in 1997

From 1997 has a pretty good summation of his career and some lovely stuff inside too.

The Full Leaflet is Located here

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm.. Did you have a read of his leaflet Tenderloins ?

Check the section "Protecting Home Buyers Rights"

Many young people are also deeply concerned about escalating house costs and the current over heating of the Dublin property market

This.. on a Fianna Fáil election leaflet .. in 1997... 13 years ago now... and then having the cheek to say, "Nobody saw this coming"
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Hmm.. Did you have a read of his leaflet Tenderloins ?

Check the section "Protecting Home Buyers Rights"

Many young people are also deeply concerned about escalating house costs and the current over heating of the Dublin property market

This.. on a Fianna Fáil election leaflet .. in 1997... 13 years ago now... and then having the cheek to say, "Nobody saw this coming"
    I know, a primary source too! ..... To be fair I do think they were concerned at the time .... but then the balance shifted from "Protecting Home Buyers Rights" to "Protecting Home Builders rights"

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderloins1 View Post
    I know, a primary source too! ..... To be fair I do think they were concerned at the time .... but then the balance shifted from "Protecting Home Buyers Rights" to "Protecting Home Builders rights"

It wouldn't be a bad leaflet to have on hand by some Opposition parties whenever Whelan jumped on his high horse about Lehmans Bros being the blame for everything. Or any other FFer
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this is why it's hard to take any of his commentary with anything other than a grain of salt.
    James Reilly said something to him one night on VB about his "Fianna Fáil credentials"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually looking again...
    Yes young people were, not Fianna Fail!
    Whelan did a 'Homebuyers Charter' (what ever that was) yet I cant see what connection the 'Homebuyers Charter' could have with stopping house prices increasing?.
    I bought my first house (a 1 bedroom cottage) in 1997 and sold it for twice the price two years later. In 1997 there was an urgency to get a place as prices were increasing. It was the following two years though where it really began to defy all logic.
    And Yes Whelan is FF through and Through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    this is why it's hard to take any of his commentary with anything other than a grain of salt.
    James Reilly said something to him one night on VB about his "Fianna Fáil credentials"
    When he writes or speaks in public, it's not a secret where Whelan is coming from, is it?

I have found it interesting though, to read him and Garret Fitz side-by-side in the Irish Times.

I'm not a fan of FG or GF-as-Taoiseach but reading his pieces, you can almost hear his big brain buzzing, thinking things through.

You hear the same sound with Noel Whelan, but get the impression this brain activity is directed at spinning for the cause and staying on-message, rather than engaging with deep thoughts on the national interest.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderloins1 View Post
    Actually looking again...
    Yes young people were, not Fianna Fail!
    Whelan did a 'Homebuyers Charter' (what ever that was) yet I cant see what connection the 'Homebuyers Charter' could have with stopping house prices increasing?.
    I bought my first house (a 1 bedroom cottage) in 1997 and sold it for twice the price two years later. In 1997 there was an urgency to get a place as prices were increasing. It was the following two years though where it really began to defy all logic.
    And Yes Whelan is FF through and Through.
    This is what I hate about FF ( among other things ), the hypocritical populism of pretending to be on the same side as the "young" homeowners when they are in the pockets of the very people who are driving the prices up!
    I'm sure Whelan is smart enough to see the hypocrisy here

ah yes eoin ryan human rights champion and chief defender of irelands free pass to the cia kidnappers and torturers to do whatever they like via ireland
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 26th February 2010 at 07:16 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF candidates are notorious for saying one thing to get elected, and do the opposite when elected.

Cowen is the classic example after his performance before the last GE, promising FF would save the country.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast