Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Drivetime with Mary Wilson

This programme really irritates me. Not to mention the inadequacy of the presenter that I've never once heard give a decent interview - but two things really stick out as really snobby, snotty, D4 RTE nonsense.

The first is the frequent radio diaries carried out by Olivia O'Leary or Fergus Finley. What the hell are they about? Snotty lectures.

Secondly, the weekly health slot with Sara something, miss know it all. It's really pathetic and down right snobby crap that I've noticed about RTE lately.

They presumably get an appearance fee for this rubbish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those lectures remind me of the parish priest a long time ago.
    Dont waste your time with that dull programme ...
    Why dont you just tune in to Matt Cooper?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not tune in to Matt Cooper or Hookie instead for a change?

You might, just might, be pleasantly surprised at the independence they have in dealing with current issues, because they can...... They may not always be great, but all the same, I couldn't listen to drivetime RTE either for the reasons you state.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I never listen to it. Her interview style is like that of a barrister. I did actually turn it over one day this week to hear Dermot Ahern re the Trevor Sargent leak and she was as weak as water deferring to Ahern at every turn.

Matt Cooper is my preferred listening in that slot.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Friday discussion panel is very annoying aswell.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@kerrynorth, MW was at one stage the legal corr if I remember correctly, so that may be where her adversarial style comes from.

As for the D Ahern interview, well we all know who pays for RTE and keeps it going now don't we?

Thank your lucky stars that you're not listening in the eighties when there wasn't any alternative. If you don't like it there's always Matt Cooper or George Hook who run decent enough programmes in the same time slot. There wasn't always a choice
    I tend to switch back and forward between them.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd give Olivia O'Leary more of a shot, if I were you. She's a lot more clued in and insightful than 99% of people mouthing off at any given time. She has some idea what she's talking about. Other than that, yes the programme is usually dull. Mary Wilson (who I think is a decent person) has picked up that irritating habit from Marian Finucane of starting every sentence with a high-pitch squeak, which is itself reason enough to switch over. Funnily enough she never sounded like that when doing the legal affairs stuff on the news, perhaps it's compulsory on RTE radio...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being overseas, I'm dependent on the website to access - and, sad to say, the newstalk site is an effing trainwreck.

So, what's Mary (I know what side my bread is buttered on) Wilson is talking about today.

Seriously - if someone from NT is reading, is it too much to ask to have an archive page of past shows that can be downloaded?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Thank your lucky stars that you're not listening in the eighties when there wasn't any alternative. If you don't like it there's always Matt Cooper or George Hook who run decent enough programmes in the same time slot. There wasn't always a choice
    I tend to switch back and forward between them.
    Oh I was listening in the 80's. Brought up on Morning Ireland and Today Tonight I was! :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast