Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Helped Disappear People. My Orders Came From Gerry Adams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I Helped Disappear People. My Orders Came From Gerry Adams.

So says Dolours Price, the first woman to become a member of the Provisional IRA, the leader of the unit that bombed London in March 1973 and the hunger-striker who endured months of force-feeding in British prisons before eventually being released on grounds of ill-health. Price subsequently married the Oscar-nominated actor Stephen Rea (from whom she is now divorced). She suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and admits to being a recovering alcoholic. Her sister Marian, who was also jailed for her part in the London bombings, is currently a spokesperson for the 32 County Sovereignty Movement in Belfast.

Dolours Price has given an interview to the Irish News (subscription required) in which she:
    - describes how she persuaded IRA Chief-of-Staff Seán Mac Stíofáin to grant women membership of the IRA rather than Cumann na mBan
    - claims that Gerry Adams was her Officer Commanding from whom she took orders in person
    - admits to being involved in the disappearances of IRA members Seamus Wright, Kevin McKee and Joe Lynskey
    - claims to have further knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Belfast mother-of-ten Jean McConville
    - pledges her co-operation with the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains

Gerry Adams denies the allegations.
    Last edited by picador; 19th February 2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: add links
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*Yawn*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has she a tape?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gee - yet another anti-GFA person trying - and failing - to discredit Gerry Adams.

Snore.
    Last edited by factual; 18th February 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She had admitted involvement in the disappearances of three people who were subsequently murdered (in legal parlance). She might well receive a visit from the PSNI's Historical Enquiries Team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't get the materiality of this. I get the public interest, but....what's the actual effect this will have if true? McGuinness is a former terrorist and people deal with him. Hell I'm sure the DUP already just assume Adams is a terrorist. I understand that people will be interested in this, but it doesn't matter in terms of northern politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I don't get the materiality of this. I get the public interest, but....what's the actual effect this will have if true? McGuinness is a former terrorist and people deal with him. Hell I'm sure the DUP already just assume Adams is a terrorist. I understand that people will be interested in this, but it doesn't matter in terms of northern politics.
    It does and it doesn't have an impact on politics.

You may remember the Eames Bradley proposals which were made last year and which have yet to be acted upon. Dealing with the past is like a hot potato - it's the political issue that no-one wants to hold on to. Thus we get this drip, drip, drip of revelations some of which may be wholly true, some partially true and some downright fictitious. Do they change the way that prople vote? Probably not. But Gerry Adams will never be the President of Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It seems that only niave neo-Shinners believe that Gerry wasnt a senior member of the Provisionals at some stage or other. If this work is geniune it could shed interesting light on the role of and attitude to women in the Provisional movement. Remember that a large percentage of the PIRA was made up of females. Thats what I think would be really important here.
    Last edited by SevenStars; 18th February 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She was a leading activist in the Republican Movement

- no one could doubt her commitment to the Cause.

If she says Gerry was her C.O. then that means one of two things.

Either she is a Liar

or

Gerry is a Liar.

I know which one I believe.
    Last edited by Catalpa; 18th February 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The piece in the Irish News today is in all likelihood a precursor to Ed Moloney's forthcoming book about Brendan Hughes, which is based on tapes Hughes made before his death. Pre-publicity if you like. Price's confession means that there is a real live republican around to support the allegations which Hughes - through Moloney - is about to make from beyond the grave. I note that she is so far holding back what she claims to know about the disappearance of Jean McConville. This bears all the hallmarks of an ambush!
    Last edited by picador; 19th February 2010 at 12:38 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast